• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 banger french pos 5spd to auto?

AaronXJ

NAXJA Forum User
doesanyone have any write up's or experance on doing this swap? thanks in advance!

-Aaron :repair:

What French POS? To the best of my knowledge, the 4-bangers came with either an AX-5 (Japanese) or a T-5 (American)

The Peugeot BA10/5 was used behind the early 4.0L engines.

they truly are a pos tranny. though amasingly i have 180,000 on one so hopefuly it wont crap out on my way to montana. why are you wanting to go auto? go ax15

well truely, i don't have any pro's and cons of either. honestly just seend easier to throw auto in rather then ax5.. does anyone have an ax5 conversion?

I suppose the swap would be pretty easy. The AX5 is designed to fit behind the 2.5L so If you could grab a tranny and transfer case combo it would make your life very easy. Here's a link to a write up on a swap to an AX15, it addresses some of the issues you'll be dealing with like spline counts ect. http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/ax15swap.html

I thought that the BA/10 was used only behind the 4 banger but according to Jeep Tech it was found behind the 2.8, 2.5. and the 4.0 in the MJ, YJ, and XJ until 89.

http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/ba10.html

Good luck!

That is not right.....

There were only two manuals used behind the 2.5 and 2.8. They were the AX-5 and the T-5.

AaronXJ said:
well truely, i don't have any pro's and cons of either. honestly just seend easier to throw auto in rather then ax5.. does anyone have an ax5 conversion?

I repeat ... you probably already have an AX-5. The primary 5-speed used behind the 4-cyl was the AX-5. In the first year or two AMC used some T-5s only when they ran short on AX-5s.

The Peugeot tranny was introduced in 1987 and used behind the 6-cyl engine for only 3-1/3 years. For you to put in an AX-5 would not involve any "conversion" ... it's a direct replacement. The only thing to watch out for is being sure the spline count on the transfer case input matches up ... yours is 21 spline, and in later years I know the 6-cylinders were changed to 23 splines. I assume that's also true for the 4-cyl but I don't know.

Actually Eagle.....

I do not think the spline count changed for the 4 cylander 231. The 94 231 I have has 21 splines too. If it did change it changed after that. And I believe the TJ 231 was 21 too. But am not entirely sure on that.

ok, well i was misinformed.. that being said, I have a 2wd 90 MJ, the tranny is acting like the BA10 i had in my 88.. well back to my first post, ease and experance have proven the aw4 for me. i have a really bad knee and hip (motorcycle accident years ago) i really want to converit to an auto...

Back