• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible NAXJA SOCal Newsletter/e-mail??

woogie

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I want to throw something out to all of you. I have a hard time keeping up with all of the messages going through this and the SoCal XJ sites. I would like to have more timely info of trail runs / meetings / etc., without having to spend time looking through all of the threads. I know that it is possible to send out blanket e-mail messages with updates. (A sort of e-mail newsletter). Is this something that has been thought about, or has the subject been approached before?? I would gladly assist in the process if help is needed.

Thanks!

Rex Markel
'87 Limited
Torrance, CA

woogie said:
Hello all,

I want to throw something out to all of you. I have a hard time keeping up with all of the messages going through this and the SoCal XJ sites. I would like to have more timely info of trail runs / meetings / etc., without having to spend time looking through all of the threads. I know that it is possible to send out blanket e-mail messages with updates. (A sort of e-mail newsletter). Is this something that has been thought about, or has the subject been approached before?? I would gladly assist in the process if help is needed.

Thanks!

Rex Markel
'87 Limited
Torrance, CA
To assist in something like that would require you to sort through all those threads to keep up, so it would kinda defeat the purpose wouldn't it. What would be better would be a calander of some sort with a link to the thread that contains the actual run info and contact info. Just a thought

Fullsizexj said:
To assist in something like that would require you to sort through all those threads to keep up, so it would kinda defeat the purpose wouldn't it. What would be better would be a calander of some sort with a link to the thread that contains the actual run info and contact info. Just a thought

Well, if people send the info about runs to [email protected] there is the spot for "other events' on www.naxja.org/calendar.htm that I populate...... but... the problem is that quite often people go on a spur of the moment so it'd be hard to keep it updated fast enough

I would say that this is possible, but only for official / semi-offical runs. A lot of runs are just a group of people getting together to run up the moutain or something, so there's not enough planning. I'll let you know about that one when I have some time to hash it out.

Oh, and Rex, what part of Torrance are you in (I might ahve already asked you this before, bad memory :)).

Sequoia

woogie said:
Hello all,

Thanks!

Rex Markel
'87 Limited
Torrance, CA

You need to look from time to time Rex. It's been since what a year or two ago at HDR we sat and talked?

MJR said:
You need to look from time to time Rex. It's been since what a year or two ago at HDR we sat and talked?

Mike,

I do look - almost daily - but there are some times when it is difficult to see when threads originate, however. Plus, it seems like a lot of folks spend hours on-line! I subscribed to get the e-mail list, but my employer started noticing how much activity was being directed to my e-mail box and I had to un-subscribe (Evil-Eye)!!

I originally thought about this because I get updates from the Blue Oyster Cult on upcoming shows and it seemed to be a quick way to broadcast events.

You know me, though - too many things to do and see !! (And, we are going to be starting on a major home improvement project soon). Just trying to get a little advanced notice so that I can look to plan a weekend trip one of these days.

Rex

GSequoia said:
I would say that this is possible, but only for official / semi-offical runs. A lot of runs are just a group of people getting together to run up the moutain or something, so there's not enough planning. I'll let you know about that one when I have some time to hash it out.

Oh, and Rex, what part of Torrance are you in (I might ahve already asked you this before, bad memory :)).

Sequoia

I am over by Carson & Normandie.

Rex

I have the same problem with the SoCal XJ list, I don't keep up, so I read several hundred emails in the past few days over a period of an hour or so! Sheesh, and post several replies, lol, as you may have noticed. I've tried my best in the past to post things to the Calendar there, but I beleive it's not often seen.

The NAXJA socal chapter sure has a lot less traffic, and it would be easier to find an impromptu run if it were posted here. I have toyed with the idea of just making a Southern California XJ RUNS yahoo group. So that people can post there runs there. Anyone? Bueller?

:flipoff:

mikedashg said:
I have the same problem with the SoCal XJ list, I don't keep up, so I read several hundred emails in the past few days over a period of an hour or so! Sheesh, and post several replies, lol, as you may have noticed. I've tried my best in the past to post things to the Calendar there, but I beleive it's not often seen.

The NAXJA socal chapter sure has a lot less traffic, and it would be easier to find an impromptu run if it were posted here. I have toyed with the idea of just making a Southern California XJ RUNS yahoo group. So that people can post there runs there. Anyone? Bueller?

:flipoff:

I know what you mean: There are days when I leave work and get home after going to lectures and my inbox can have as many as 100+ messages!!

Anyways, I like the idea of posting runs in a web forum more then on a mailing list as that way it's easier to look and see who all is coming and what plans are being made. With a mailing list you have to track down sometimes all the messages that branch of that original announcement. In any case, nice part is that almost anyone can post messages here. All you have to do is just create a profile for the forums.

In regards to another forum/mailing list only for runs... well I think that would not be too practical :( I get so much stuf in my inbox as it is that it's sometimes hard to keep track.

What if we write our own calendar that we can all post on? Something that doesn't need a moderator or webmaster to post. We can write a calendar that will give us each a log in, or a generic log in, that we can log in, post something, and have it up there, instantly....

LiquidOps said:
What if we write our own calendar that we can all post on? Something that doesn't need a moderator or webmaster to post. We can write a calendar that will give us each a log in, or a generic log in, that we can log in, post something, and have it up there, instantly....

If you can host it someplace that'd be great. Maybe it's a good time to start thinking/considering our own (NAXJA SoCal Chapter) webspace somepalce :) Can someone host us? how much?? and so on... (free is good :p)

Kejtar said:
If you can host it someplace that'd be great. Maybe it's a good time to start thinking/considering our own (NAXJA SoCal Chapter) webspace somepalce :) Can someone host us? how much?? and so on... (free is good :p)

I wouldn't exactly be able to host it here at Toyota :( I think they'd find out.... lol

On a serious note... I think the best price I think I can get for hosting is like 15 bucks a month. I've seen it cheaper... Might be worth looking into. I would rather not go with one that requires stupid add banners.... Any thoughts on a name? Domain? Who's gonna do the designing and coding?

Just questions that I had...

Maybe I should become a member first? hmmmmmm

LiquidOps said:
I wouldn't exactly be able to host it here at Toyota :( I think they'd find out.... lol

On a serious note... I think the best price I think I can get for hosting is like 15 bucks a month. I've seen it cheaper... Might be worth looking into. I would rather not go with one that requires stupid add banners.... Any thoughts on a name? Domain? Who's gonna do the designing and coding?

Just questions that I had...

Maybe I should become a member first? hmmmmmm

That sounds like a lot of money! I like my idea, it's free and you hardly notice the banners. No need for any design/code/domain reg/site hosting, just make a yahoo group. Southern CA XJ/NAXJA RUNS!

mikedashg said:
That sounds like a lot of money! I like my idea, it's free and you hardly notice the banners. No need for any design/code/domain reg/site hosting, just make a yahoo group. Southern CA XJ/NAXJA RUNS!

Yeah... we got better things that we could/should spend money on : we need to get to it and make stickers and so on.... now in regards to runs, I think that people should post them here. For one, this means that there will not be a yet another mailing list that will potentially introduce additional spam mail into my inbox (Mike, remember that with all the safeguards in place that they got on SoCalXJ list, we still get spam every now and then!). Anyways, why not use what's available? The beauty in my opinion of posts on a forum such as this one is that you can look at everything pertaing to a run in a thread on a page while with a mailng list you will get plenty of little messages about events and who's coming and what to bring and so on.....

Back