• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check antilock light coming on. Why?

bonestk90

NAXJA Forum User
Tonight I was driving home from work and I made it to the first stop and noticed that the antilock light had come on and i had no braking power, like they were manual. then The emergency brake light popped on too. WTF? I turned the jeep off and on again and it went out. I realized that when I go down the road and pull the e brake handle the e- brake light comes on then the antilock light comes on also. Oh by the way this is a 90 and when I got it two weeks ago the guy said that the abs pump had been replaced and had a lifetime warranty from the jeep dealer in town. any input and knowledge will be much appreciated. thanks Chad Patten.

Take it to your local dealer for the ABS 702 recall. The ABS pump and actuator(master cyl) are covered for life. It is fairly common to have problems like this, hence the recall.

Bryan

Get it to a dealer IMMEDIATELY. That ABS system can fail with serious consequences. I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but this is one instance where a modicum of alarmism is probably justifiable.

Yeah, just bring it in to the dealer and tell them it should be covered under the 702 recall. The ABS pump and master cyl are covered for life. There shouldn't be any charge for the diagnosis or replacement of these components. One part that isn't covered and goes out occasionally is the accumulator. This is the large ball looking thing near the master cyl. The way you can tell if this is OK is the brake pedal can be pushed 3 times before the pump runs to re-energize the system. Granted this is when the pump and master are working correctly. When this part is bad, the pump runs after every push of the brake pedal and can contribute to ABS pump failure if left in this condition. They may tell you that you need to buy this part, and I strongly recommend buying it if they do.

Eagle is correct, BRING THIS VEHICLE TO THE DEALER IMMEDIATELY. It is not safe to drive in this condition.

Bryan

Yes, I is serious. I have had the ABS pump & actuator replaced twice on our '90 XJ. Both parts are covered as the failure of one impacts the other. If the dealership advises otherwise escalate to the service manager and then directly to Chrysler

Back