• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DANA 44 DISCO vs DANA 30 NON DISCO

ryurabbit

NAXJA Member #611
I have a dana 44 disco out of a 95 ram and would like to put it in my 92 XJ. I like the idea of having a disco front with a locker so that I can turn the locker off at anytime. (I would of course convert it to the posi-lock system)
I am just bouncing ideas at the moment because I need to collect the parts I need in the coming months for the swap. Just dont know what to swap in that I can afford. The questions I have are as follows:

1. Strength. Am I gaining a significant amount for $$$ investment.

2. Reliability. Will it hold up to wheeling with 35 to 37's with custom dutchman or superior axle shafts and longfield or ctm joints.

3. Is there an easier, improved or more cost effective way of doin this?

THANX IN ADVANCE

Rabbit

ryurabbit said:
I have a dana 44 disco out of a 95 ram and would like to put it in my 92 XJ. I like the idea of having a disco front with a locker so that I can turn the locker off at anytime. (I would of course convert it to the posi-lock system)
I am just bouncing ideas at the moment because I need to collect the parts I need in the coming months for the swap. Just dont know what to swap in that I can afford. The questions I have are as follows:

1. Strength. Am I gaining a significant amount for $$$ investment.

2. Reliability. Will it hold up to wheeling with 35 to 37's with custom dutchman or superior axle shafts and longfield or ctm joints.

3. Is there an easier, improved or more cost effective way of doin this?

THANX IN ADVANCE

Rabbit

Are we talking fullwidth or narrowed?

One of the distinct advantages of a standard hubbed D-44 is teh ability to run any locker you want on the street, then twist the dial ,and you are ready to rock. A full time locker in a disco axle will spin the front driveshaft on the street, so you will be forced to run a selectable (a good choice no matter what ;) , quite frankly).

Lot's of bracketry on that axle, it will be interesting to see how you achieve your goal. I wouldn't start with a 44, I'd rather start with the 2500/3500 series 60 for the extra beef, but I'm hard on parts.

CRASH

I have a quik lock in the dana 30 right now, and although extremely impressed and satisfied, I do need some more ground clearance and will be going to 35 or 37's soon. The problem is the 30 although very tough probably wont survive no matter what shafts or Joints I use with those tires and real wheeling like following the WCGIC! By the way it is a full width but I will be shortening one side.

Rabbit

awr94903 said:
isn't the dodge d44 a passenger side drop?

my '00 is drivers side and the wifes is a '97 both dodge 1500's and both drivers side drop.

i know some of the older ones were oposite side drop.

awr94903 said:
isn't the dodge d44 a passenger side drop?

Up to 1993 is a passenger drop with standard lockouts. A Dana 44 in 1500 and light 2500 series units, a Dana 61 in Cummins diesel 2500 series and all 3500 series apps.

Standard spiral gears, of course.

CRASH

running 35s or 37s you will eventually break a Dana44. If you like the skinny pedal you will quickly break a 44. Period.

With high quality shafts

I neglected to state that I will be using cro-moly shafts from either superior or dutchman and ox joints or ctm's.

I'm not asking if they will last forever, nothing lasts forever, but I want months or years not days or weeks between breakages.

Rabbit

P.s. Crash, your a regular encyclopedia thanx for the added info.

P.s.s I work for DC in a stealership so I did know this, but neglected to point it out to the other members. Too wrapped up in my own project I guess. :doh:

Back