• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire pics/opinions needed

Silver Bullet

NAXJA Forum User
I will be ordering meats this week and am leening towards Swamper TSL's in 31x10.50 do any of you guys run this tire in this size and have pics of it.
And how do they handle on the road? the only Swamper I had experience with was 31" Thornbirds and their road manners were fine for me.

thanks for any help

Silver Bullet

2000 Xj 3.5" RE lift AA SYE And TWoods Shaft

Silver Bullet said:
I will be ordering meats this week and am leening towards Swamper TSL's in 31x10.50 do any of you guys run this tire in this size and have pics of it.
And how do they handle on the road? the only Swamper I had experience with was 31" Thornbirds and their road manners were fine for me.

thanks for any help

Silver Bullet

get some Hi-Tech Re-Treads.
@$54 a piece. love mine....

I don't have any pics, but I know quite a few people that have run the TSL's on their DDs and loved them. They are good on and off the road.

Atl XJ said:
I don't have any pics, but I know quite a few people that have run the TSL's on their DDs and loved them. They are good on and off the road.

I ran 32x10.5 TSL's on my prior DD rig for a while. I thought they were fine on road, but a bit noisy.

The noise factor I can deal with, I just don't want a real rough riding tire (like I have heard LTb's run)
Since I will only be running 31x10.50's I wanted a capable tire to make up for the small foot print, I figured the TSl's would be a good choice, I also considered the BFG MT and trxus MT for awhile but am pretty set on the TSL's.

As for Retreads, No interest what so ever. I spent to much money on mods to skimp on tires.
Thanks Guys
Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet said:
The noise factor I can deal with, I just don't want a real rough riding tire (like I have heard LTb's run)
Since I will only be running 31x10.50's I wanted a capable tire to make up for the small foot print, I figured the TSl's would be a good choice, I also considered the BFG MT and trxus MT for awhile but am pretty set on the TSL's.

As for Retreads, No interest what so ever. I spent to much money on mods to skimp on tires.
Thanks Guys
Silver Bullet

Well, since you brought it up - I would definately get BFG MT's for daily use over TSL's. While I didn't mind the TSL's, I've had BFG MT's on for four years now. They are great off road, except in the deepest of mud, and much, much quieter on road than TSL's. Mine have over 45k on them now, still have 20% tread, and are just now starting to get even close to as loud as the TSl's. If you sipe em, they are not bad in the snow either. I've also heard nothing but good things about Trxus, and am considering them as my next tire. Just my 2 cents.

TSLs

I have a set of bias ply TSLs that I run as trail only tires. I don't mind the extra noise, but the rough ride in the mornings really sucks. The also don't handle very well on wet roads. I currently have a set of Trxus muds as street tires. If I had to pick only one to run trails and street it would be the Trxus.

Here's a couple of pics.
103935982-disney103.jpg

LBXWQ-795210045-disney206.jpg

Here is one of the Trxus.

21365247-xjbumper2.jpg

huh? huh?.....I can't hear you over my Tsl's!!! seriously, I had a set and the noise was so loud it gave me headaches after a while, they did GREAT offroad though

ran 33x10.5r15 Radial Swampers about about 2.5 years on a daily driver. Did everything great for me but a light coating of rain and they would be slick as cat crap. But nothing to scare ya, just learn not to push it in the rain. They are some what loud, but not that much more than BFG mt's that they replaced. Loved them and will be getting another set here before summer. Running 33x10.5 BFG AT's now. Great on the street and rock, not so great on snow hills or mud. Juice

Silver Bullet said:
Since I will only be running 31x10.50's,I also considered the BFG MT and trxus MT

I'm getting TrXuS with my tax return, 31x10.5's. I choose that tire because a lot of guys in my club run them on their dd/rig and said don't go anything but.

Of course that is their opinion.

i ran 33x12.5 xterrains on my last cherokee and they were great on-road and amazing off. im sure the 31's would have even better manners on road but be just as tenacious on the trails.

Silver Bullet said:

thanks for any help

Silver Bullet

Regular TSL's get the flat spots pretty quick and are slow to come out when it's cold out, dunno if you can get away with the 32x10.5 Radial TSL's but they would be a better choice IMO if you want to stick with the old skool TSL's. From what is said though about the Truxs MT's they seem to be about the best thing out there right now as they are siped and handle the wet roads really well..... and you can get those in a 31x10.5.
Mike B.

whats up with everyone wanting to get swampers. i personally ran 33" SSR and they sucked compared to BFG MT or the MTR's i run currently. in my opinion if you us your XJ as a daily driver, there is no need for swampers, other than to look aggressive. Who cares about looks that much anyways. go with function, practicality, and performance. i recommend MTR's, they last a long time, and from my experience work best on the trail.
on the other hand, if you mostly go through the mud, then i would consider TSL's or something similar. bogging gets real boring, real quick...

Thank you for all the reccomendations.

Shimmy, I want swampers because I want a capable trail rig and Swampers lead the way as far as performance goes.
My XJ is a daily driver and I have a two mile commute to work so flat spotting will proably be an issue, but one I think I can live with. I am a little more concerned with the TSL's highway manners since I drive out of state a few times a year.
MTR's and BFG MT were being cosidered initially but as of today it's looking like either the Bias ply TSL 31x10.50 or the Radial TSL 32x10.50 (and pray they fit Ok)

The Trxus comes with high praise from a friend who has them on his XJ and YJ for both street and trail. When I measured his 33x12.50 on a 15x7rim it was only 31.5" high though, do the trxus run small? he had 20psi in his tire.
I would hate to order the trxus 31x10.50 and have it be a 29" or 30" . I will usuing 15x8 rims.

Thanks again guys.
Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet said:
Thank you for all the reccomendations.

Shimmy, I want swampers because I want a capable trail rig and Swampers lead the way as far as performance goes.
My XJ is a daily driver and I have a two mile commute to work so flat spotting will proably be an issue, but one I think I can live with. I am a little more concerned with the TSL's highway manners since I drive out of state a few times a year.
MTR's and BFG MT were being cosidered initially but as of today it's looking like either the Bias ply TSL 31x10.50 or the Radial TSL 32x10.50 (and pray they fit Ok)

The Trxus comes with high praise from a friend who has them on his XJ and YJ for both street and trail. When I measured his 33x12.50 on a 15x7rim it was only 31.5" high though, do the trxus run small? he had 20psi in his tire.
I would hate to order the trxus 31x10.50 and have it be a 29" or 30" . I will usuing 15x8 rims.

Thanks again guys.
Silver Bullet

Petersens did a mud tire test a couple of months ago and the trxus 31x10.5 measured 30 7/8. It was the closest to label of the bunch.

I am on 33's and had the procomp mud terrains and those wore out and i just put some Wildspirits on and there is a huge dif in the noise, wildspirits being quieter, and the wildspirits ride alot nicer. Just a bit o' info there
Tylor

Back