• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what gears do i have

what year is your XJ?
Motor?
Tranny?
chances are that if its an auto then its got 3.55's, and if its a manual tranny then its got 3.07's.
but things can be different thats why I asked the questions above.
the real question is which rear axle do you have?
when viewed from the back of the vehicle, does the diff look fairly oval shape or does it have a definate hexagonal shape with a defined flat edge on the bottom?

Rawbrown said:
what year is your XJ?
Motor?
Tranny?
chances are that if its an auto then its got 3.55's, and if its a manual tranny then its got 3.07's.
but things can be different thats why I asked the questions above.
the real question is which rear axle do you have?
when viewed from the back of the vehicle, does the diff look fairly oval shape or does it have a definate hexagonal shape with a defined flat edge on the bottom?

92XJ sport (straight stock)
straight 6
auto
....just thought I'd jump in here, hope ya don't mind..I'm a first jeep guy to (since august)

theschwarz1 said:
92XJ sport (straight stock)
straight 6
auto
....just thought I'd jump in here, hope ya don't mind..I'm a first jeep guy to (since august)

You have 3.55 gears.

You may have a Chryco 8.25 rear, or a Dana 35.

on the right 1/3 of this page your view "RIGHT NOW" & just below the NAXJA heading @ the top of said page you may niotice the word *search* it offers a link to a very useful tool a site search engine, this & various other topics are easily answered w/ the use of the feature..

JLane99XJ said:
on the right 1/3 of this page your view "RIGHT NOW" & just below the NAXJA heading @ the top of said page you may niotice the word *search* it offers a link to a very useful tool a site search engine, this & various other topics are easily answered w/ the use of the feature..

Well, I had a response to the above post that was trying to condescend me, but I will take the high road and not post it but continue to use the forums as they are intended...not for slamming......

theschwarz1 said:
if this question has a long answer then feel free not to answer it, whats the difference? (b/w chryco 8.25 and dana 35)

Actually, in a '92 the short answer is "not much."

The Mopar 8.25 (inch) axle has a larger ring gear than the Dana 35, but they both have comparatively skinny 27-spline axle shafts. The 8.25 has a stronger housing and stronger axle tubes, but there are fewer options available for it in terms of lockers.

Basically it's a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" situation. In '97 the 8.25 was upgraded to larger axle shafts with 29 splines. That's the more desireable 8.25.

ENGINE :4.0L
TRANNY:AW4
TRANSFER CASE:NP231 1989 XJ 4 DOOR
REAR:DANA 35
FRONT:DANA 30

by the way JLane99XJ I maybe new to this forum but this isn't my frist time.
I was relying on the knowledge of other users thats where the real answers are.

SCOTT

theschwarz1 said:
Well, I had a response to the above post that was trying to condescend me, but I will take the high road and not post it but continue to use the forums as they are intended...not for slamming......

Well, he did offer you an answer that had a good suggestions about how you can get a detailed answer to your question....... FYI I recall a discussion on that topic sometime within the last month. IIRC it was rather involved and had some good info, so if you can locate it, it should answer a lot of your questions about the differences between axles.

fristjeepguy said:
where do i find the axle ratio is there a tag on the axle or a sticker on the door jam?

scott
There should be a tag on the axle. The tag will tell you the ratio. If the tag is gone, jack up the rear of the vehicle until both tires are off the ground, then turn one of the wheels one complete rotation, as it turns count how many times the driveshaft turns. It the shaft turns three and a half times, you have 3.55's, if it turns only three times, you have 3.05's, and so on. Although it doesn't seem accurate, it works.

fristjeepguy said:
ENGINE :4.0L
TRANNY:AW4
TRANSFER CASE:NP231 1989 XJ 4 DOOR
REAR:DANA 35
FRONT:DANA 30

Axle ratio = 3.55 (or 3.54, depends on which end you're discussing)

if you have abs brakes then you have a dana 35, they never used the 8.25 in xj's with abs. best way to tell if you have abs is if you have a plastic brake fluid reservoir cap.

if you dont have abs there is still a slight chance of the dana35 but not very likely.

Arakele said:
if you dont have abs there is still a slight chance of the dana35 but not very likely.

You missed the fact that he has an '89. They didn't use the 8,25 axle in '89. He has a Dana 35.

Back