• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird engine behaviour

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Ok, I was driving my jeep and it did something really weird. First it started to loose power as though it was gas starved, then it sputtered and then finally with a loud BANG and lurch and jerk it all went back to normal. Btw, I was driving at under 10mph (just started moving) as it happened).

I don't really know what to make of it. The XJ has a new TPS, CPS, engine has 140K on the clock, recently changed oils, check engine light is off (so I guess no codes to be read). Any clues as to what to look for? I did drive it close to 20 miles since it happened and it didn't repeat itself.

fords with the durospark would do that as the box failed, check coil and wires, sounds like loaded up with fuel and then spark came back. HTH

Kejtar said:
Ok, I was driving my jeep and it did something really weird. First it started to loose power as though it was gas starved, then it sputtered and then finally with a loud BANG and lurch and jerk it all went back to normal. QUOTE]
Was it a bang, or a "cough". A cough is like a backfire through the intake manifold, and is caused by super lean mixtures. That would jive with the loss of power sensation.

Sounds like you had fuel starvation for a few seconds. Now as to WHY, that's a good question. I would check the obvious--fuel filter, fuel pressure, etc.

AZ Jeff said:
Kejtar said:
Was it a bang, or a "cough". A cough is like a backfire through the intake manifold, and is caused by super lean mixtures. That would jive with the loss of power sensation.

Sounds like you had fuel starvation for a few seconds. Now as to WHY, that's a good question. I would check the obvious--fuel filter, fuel pressure, etc.
when it originally lost power it didn't really "cough". I just pressed gas and it seemed to slow down and stop moving and suddenly I heard a loud BANG followed by a lurching/jerking motion and then everything went back to normal. In regards to the fuel filter... well the 98's don't have one... or rather they do, but it's non-serviceable (in tank on pump )

Back