• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift, axle swaps and other mods started

xtremewlr

NAXJA Forum User
So the modding begins... :greensmok

I just bought my XJ a little more than a week ago and then happened on a deal for a 2nd XJ to use for parts. The parts XJ came with a 4.5" RE lift, 4.11s, Detroit in the rear and a lockright in the front. It wont pass smog and wont run plus needs alot of work so I am just going to use it for a parts rig. Ill have parts from it for sale later on.

My buildup rig, bone stock except for 30" tires:
IMG_0010.sized.jpg

My parts rig:
IMG_0005.sized.jpg

So I have yanked the rear D35 from under the parts XJ this afternoon. I need to get it cleaned up, inspect the brakes and the gears/locker. Also need to plate the diff cover for rock protection and weld new shock mounts to it.

Rear axle from parts rig with 4.5" RE leafs and a Detroit locker:
IMG_0020.sized.jpg

Rear axle gone, going to install the stocker from my main rig back under it:
IMG_0018.sized.jpg

So I am wondering if I should get Boomerang shackles (the parts rig used the stock shackles) or should I use the stockers again? Or, use the stock shackles and box up the stock rear shackle mount with 1/4" plate, making a new, lower shackle mount giving about 2" or so of extra lift? Also, would trussing the D35 be a good idea? Not for jumps and stuff, just good 'ol rockcrawling.

Ill post more pics as the buildup goes. :)

I dont get it. Why not just drive the red one and wheel the white one. Its got a cage in it already, I think from the pics. Maybe its just a west coast thing, I wouldnt understand.

csudman said:
I dont get it. Why not just drive the red one and wheel the white one. Its got a cage in it already, I think from the pics. Maybe its just a west coast thing, I wouldnt understand.

Believe me, I wish I could do that. But, I dont have a tow rig for the white one, it doesnt run right now (something wrong witht he starter wiring orsomething) and needs a fair amount of work done before I would be comfortable wheeling it. That cage isnt a full cage either, just a hoop over the driver/pass seats with kickers going to the floor in the back. I would rather take what I want off it and part out the rest to make some money back on it. Plus it will give me a spare engine (80k on the engine in the white xj) since the one in my red xj seems to have rod knock (only 191,000 on it too).

Its your ball game, play it like you want. But lets take a look at the difference as i see it. And maybe I'm wrong.

1. The white one looks better. Trivial But still.

2. The white one has 110,000 less miles.

3. You can replace almost all the engine components, excluding the block for about 2-300. And make it run like new. Some junkyard stuff of course. You said its got a wiring problem. Thats easy enough to fix, or take it to a shop. It was an offroad vehicle. Its probably just a bad connection somewhere.

4. You have 2 vehicles. Break one drive the other.

But again, whatever floats your boat.

On the D35, I would at least weld the tubes to the pumpkin. I had a lot of luck with my old D35, 33's and a lock-right never had a broken axle. I only had 3 spare sets of axles just in case. :)

I vote for boxing in the rear mount. You'll get lift, pinion adjustment and you can make an adjustment for the rear shackle angle.

You can also do this, for added lift.

http://home.comcast.net/~cdutke/springperches/

I would seriously consider just fixing the engine problem and keeping a daily driver and a trail rig. Personaly, as a person who has had to use my trail rig as my daily driver and have suffered with the gas mileage and tire wear. not to mention having to be up all hours of the night fixing what broke durring the weekend before driving to work on monday. you want two rigs...thay way you can fearlessly go after the tougher challenges. and starter wireing is easy. what are the syptoms. its either in the sarter, selonoid the relay or the igniton. you could even go redtech on it and replace the whole system for $150. But its your choice

csudman said:
Its your ball game, play it like you want. But lets take a look at the difference as i see it. And maybe I'm wrong.

1. The white one looks better. Trivial But still.

The paint might be better but that is where it ends looks wise. The body is pretty beat up and I dont like how some things were done on it. Rather start with an untouched rig.

2. The white one has 110,000 less miles.

Actually, the white one has 250+k on it compared to my red one with 191k. Only the motor has less milage in the white one.

3. You can replace almost all the engine components, excluding the block for about 2-300. And make it run like new. Some junkyard stuff of course. You said its got a wiring problem. Thats easy enough to fix, or take it to a shop. It was an offroad vehicle. Its probably just a bad connection somewhere.

4. You have 2 vehicles. Break one drive the other.

But again, whatever floats your boat.

Ive already put time and $ into the red one getting it to run as best she can. I also do all my own work whenever possible which is most of the time. I would love to make one a dedicated trail rig but money is always an issue (as with most people).

Moriarty581 said:
I would seriously consider just fixing the engine problem and keeping a daily driver and a trail rig. Personaly, as a person who has had to use my trail rig as my daily driver and have suffered with the gas mileage and tire wear. not to mention having to be up all hours of the night fixing what broke durring the weekend before driving to work on monday. you want two rigs...thay way you can fearlessly go after the tougher challenges. and starter wireing is easy. what are the syptoms. its either in the sarter, selonoid the relay or the igniton. you could even go redtech on it and replace the whole system for $150. But its your choice

See my previous response. I would love to have 2 rigs but part of the idea on the white one is to get what parts I want/need out of it and part out the rest to make some of my money back on it. And I actually have a car to drive besides the red one right now so I dont need to worry about having a ride to work on Monday.

diff cover done

Finished the diff cover today. Axle is ready to go under the jeep now, then all I have to do is locate the new shock mounts on it and weld them in place then paint.

IMG_0005_001.sized.jpg

IMG_0011_001.sized.jpg

Back