• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick question

89 XJer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm almost done with my R.E 3.5 lift. Right now I'm trying to get the adjustable trackbar aligned. I couldn't remember what direction the axle moved after I lifted it. It looks like it move towards the drivers side more than the passenger, can someone verify that it moves to the drivers side and also what is the best way to get it eqaul. Thanks danny

not sure i totally understand the question. to align the axle under the XJ, just turn the steering wheel back and forth, or have someone shake the XJ from side to side and the axle should slowly center back under the rig. it took me a while to get mine back with perfect eye alignment.

brandon

When you lift it the axle moves to the driver side and you need a slightly longer bar to center it again.

Thanks guys! I think I have it. I moved the axle over about a 1/2 inch to the passenger side. I'm not sure if it is perfect But I will check it again in a few days. I just was not quite sure how or where to measure the axle to get the best outcome.

If you need to measure...I'd measure the distance each tire sticks out of the fenderwell and make sure they match on either side before attaching the track bar.....but I just shook my steering wheel back and forth and bolted everything up....

I parked on a level floor and dropped a string with a weight off the flares. Measure from the string to the tires and make both sides the same.

The floor must be level side-to-side for this to be accurate.

the best way to measure is to run a plumb bob down the outside uni-frame, in line with the sway bar mounts....on the axle. then measure from the mount to the plumb bob......adjust until both sides are the same.

i tried the shacking rocking turning the wheels thing to self align the axle but it never worked for me......so i use a come-along. i mount it from the axle on the passenger side, up to the uni-frame on the driverside. in addition to pulling the vehical to the side it may tend to pull it down......so measure and adjust before calling it done.

Back