• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Option, Can it be Done???

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Okay, I had a thought. I know alot of people take the front HP44s and narrow them and use waggy parts. Would it be possible to just take the complete waggy axle, and have the HP center section pressed and welded in? Rather then to go to the trouble of narrowing the HP tubes and swapping all of the waggy parts over. The first option seems much much easier, but is it possible????

What you propose is entirely possable but whats the chance of getting the waggy tubes out of the waggy centersection with out major damage or it being a huge pain in the ass?

Also you have to buy a waggy housing and a HP44 centersection. If you just narrow the a HP44, all you need is the outer waggy parts and not the entire housing from the waggy.

AARON

it will be more cost effective to buy the whole waggy setup then just the individual parts from the yard. And a shop would be doing the press and weld, not sure how they would damage the waggy tubes. I am just going for simplicity and cost here.

It sounds like more trouble and money to have a LP diff housing pressed out and HP center section pressed in. You should be able to remove the inner knuckle yokes off the HP housing yourself, shorten it, hammer the yokes back on, set the caster and weld.

Seems like moving just the inner knuckles is an easier way to set the caster, rather than trying to make sure the tube is being pressed in with them at the proper angle...or rotate them afterwards.

I built a shortened Ford D44 to fit Waggy shafts, it wasn't much trouble to shorten it myself.

And who wouldn't want the 1/2" wall tubes of the Ford HP D44?

By that time, you will have enough for a stock front HP D60! :rolleyes:

The full-size Waggies were leaf spring in the front anyway. There's a lot of fab work involved to adapt one of those for use in an XJ. Seems to me it's kind of going backwards to take a high-pinion diff and go to the trouble of pressing on tubes set up for leaf springs, just so you can then have the fun of cutting the leaf spring stuff off.

However, on the later Waggies the leaf spring mount on the driver's side is part of the diff housing, so you would lose that in changing over to a high pinion housing anyway.

Seems to me it would be much easier and not a lot more expensive to pick up the phone and call Dynatrak.

Jekyll said:
I built a shortened Ford D44 to fit Waggy shafts, it wasn't much trouble to shorten it myself.

And who wouldn't want the 1/2" wall tubes of the Ford HP D44?

My only problem with this is that I do not have the tools necessary to shorten the tubes. I have a buddy that can weld so, as far as that goes I am set. So I am not sure which route to go with...

Eagle said:
Seems to me it would be much easier and not a lot more expensive to pick up the phone and call Dynatrak.

I would say thats a bit of a stretch, especially since you have no clue how much I will be paying for my parts...... :dunno:

91 Jeep Project said:
I would say thats a bit of a stretch, especially since you have no clue how much I will be paying for my parts...... :dunno:

:banghead: Well, you what they say about ASS U ME ing anything. I guess I assumed you were paying something close to fair market price for your parts. If they're freebies, then it's just a question of how masochistic you feel. :)

Eagle said:
:banghead: Well, you what they say about ASS U ME ing anything. I guess I assumed you were paying something close to fair market price for your parts. If they're freebies, then it's just a question of how masochistic you feel. :)

"Fair Market Price?"

Is that like this "retail" I keep hearing about?

:smoker: :D:D:cheers:

Eagle said:
If they're freebies, then it's just a question of how masochistic you feel. :)
Well, they aren't freebies, but lets just say I'd make a killing if I ever chose to resale the items.. :greensmok I think I am going to narrow the HP44, cut off the c-bushing mounts and do a RE bracket kit ($350.............. :puke: ) and swap over the waggy knuckles, shafts, etc....

91 Jeep Project said:
My only problem with this is that I do not have the tools necessary to shorten the tubes.

Not many tools here, either. I used an angle grinder, chop saw and a 4 lb. hammer. Rent, borrow or buy tools...shortening is easier than you think. You'll be glad that you did.

Back