• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing block heater?

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Trying change my block heater in my 89 XJ. It's probably the saw one that was stock. I've got the new one from Napa but can't seem te get the old one out. I've unscrewed the bolt, then does it just pull out? I don't want break anything.

They are usually a rubber expansion fitting, should wiggle back out with a little help, just try not to break anything. Could be that the rubber has a lip on it from being in there for so long.

ok, now I've having problems getting the new one in. The rubber lip is biiger then the hole and I can't see to find any way to press or hammer it in. Any ideas?

Back off the adjusting nut, they expand by tightening and lube it with some PURE antifreeze. You could also get it real cold or real hot, It's late/past my bed time and I forget which will contract the rubber. Also make sure there is not some kind of build up of leftover material from the old one.

Back