• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack/ Nutzerts for mounts?

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I believe it was Farmer Matt that said he used the nutzerts to mount his awsome roof rack. Well I pulled the stock rack while letting metal cool this weekend. Two of the nutzerts messed up. Where can I get more and what are the general opnions on useing these as roof rack mounts? Also, are the screws that hold the rack on made of stainless?

Inserts at Lowe's

If you have a Lowe's or Maybe Home Depot in the hardware aisle Lowes has the rubber inserts with a metric thread that duplicate the original grommets in the roof at about 1/3 the cost.
Dealers have a replacement coated nutsert but its about $2 each - you need 10.
Take a SS screw to match the rubber gromet to make sure you got the right ones.

Re: Inserts at Lowe's

rsalemi said:

Dealers have a replacement coated nutsert but its about $2 each - you need 10.
If you want the same as the dealer sell, now - metal with a plastic coating on them (I actually like the rubber ones better) - you can get the following from NAPA much cheaper:

BG. OF 4 PCS. 665-1059
1/4-20 JACK-NUTS FOR
G.M. CARS, TRUCKS AND
VANS.

BALKAMP

I peeled the rack off my 88, and replaced everything with well nuts in 1/4"-20 thread and used 1/4-20 brass machine bolts and some auto glass sealant to close up the holes - until I can get some welder practise and plug weld the holes. The 1/4"-20 should pop right into the holes in the roof - I measured mine at 1/2".

Use washers or something to compress the well nut flange against the roof while you are starting the screw, or you will lose it into the side rails under the headliner. I picked up the well nuts at Orchard Supply (the local out here) for about sixty cents each - some came 2/bag.

5-90

This is a 84. They look like nuts surounded with a rubber grommit. So is it a consensus that these are strog attachment points or should I get some nuts & fender washers to weld to the roof? I am building a roof rack that is for lights, spare and my high lift and shovel and axe! I'll post some pictures when I get it started. Farmer Matt, if you read this could you shoot some shots of how you mounted yours? And anyone else that has pictures of their mounting system I'd love to see em!

Ghost, don't forget that Matt had to change that setup -- the rack was pulling out of the roof. However, that may have been from using it as a recovery anchor for lateral pulls.

Well nuts are not something I'd use for serious loads - if you can weld washers/nuts into place, or fab up a nut strip, that's the way to go. Well nuts are typically used for light-duty mounts where vibration or panel sealing is a concern, or one simply cannot get to the other side easily (think drywall molly, and you have ht idea.)

If you do mess with nut strips, could you pass along dimensions, as well as how you manage to seal the holes? I'm willing to bet you're working with 1/2" holes thru the roof, and the bolts looked to be about M6 or M5 when I pulled them...

5-90

Well if I weld in something it will require the removeal of the over head thing. Headliner, thats it! How hard is it to remove without destroying it and is there any room for a flat strip say 3/16" above it to weld to the unibody to weld nuts to. And what type nuts would you use? Grade 5 or 8 and why? Is there anything like the well nuts that is more like a anchor? That will expand as the bolt is insirted?

I wouldn't use the "well nuts" as a mounting point. The newer XJs, I belive most HO's, have "nutzerts" instead of the rubber well nuts. The difference is that a nutzert is like a pop rivet. You can get them in different forms & strengths, the well nuts are rubber & aren't nearly as strong. I would replace the well nuts with a form of these before attaching a rack. Yes mine started to pull out, but never failed. This is after using the rack as a winch point several times. If your not goint to do that than they should hold up fine. Heres an exaple of the ones I've used & the tool I use to put them in is in the upper right hand cornor.

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/gotopage.php?page=91

Matt

ok, so how do i know what size i need and how do they attach? I am dumb i guess but i do not understand. I am a show me kind of person! I might order some and check them out. I know the hole in the roof is about 1/2 inch.

Re: Re: Inserts at Lowe's

red87cherokee said:
If you want the same as the dealer sell, now - metal with a plastic coating on them (I actually like the rubber ones better) - you can get the following from NAPA much cheaper:

BG. OF 4 PCS. 665-1059
1/4-20 JACK-NUTS FOR
G.M. CARS, TRUCKS AND
VANS.

BALKAMP

youve got pm!

Re: Re: Re: Inserts at Lowe's

hjeepxj said:
youve got pm!
I responded to your PM. But, here's a poor picture of what these NAPA nutserts look like.

Nutserts.jpg

I hope this helps.

thanks red87, i think ill stick with the mopar ones, even though they cost 3 dollars each :eek:

how much are the napa ones?

careful

the rubber inserts in my 87' are pulling out, and that is without any heavy use, now i have a terribly leaky roof. I wouldn't mount much on those.

Ok Farmer Matt thanks for the help! Ordered them this morning, and Wicks said thanks for the referal!

Back