• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy Idea? Portal Axles.....

Cheropair

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if there is a bolt-on axle end, or maybe a weld-on conversion, that would allow one to use a D44 or such and make it into a portal axle? I can see many benefits in a portal axle, and a gear reduction of about 1.5 to 1. would be awesome - make those stock 3.55 gears work like 5's. Also, an added 5-6" of clearance would be nice!

Is this just a "pipe" dream?

dream.

Three letters...

From what I can gather, the guys at URF are about the only ones who could make something like this a reality.
Do a search under URF and see if you can find contact info.
:D

I think that you would be way better off buying some Mog portals. As I recall you can pick them up for around a grand a peice and they come with a cable actuated locker, 7.56:1 gears ratio, and they are tougher than any 44 could dream of being.

Just my .02

Its all about Hummer 9" axles. Humvee potrals with CTIS and a nodular 9" diff.

hummer9%20front.jpg

Hummer9%20front%20done.jpg

i think you need to flop the axle becuse the gears in the portal box will make the wheel spin the wrong way. could be wrong its been known to happen

massxj said:
i think you need to flop the axle becuse the gears in the portal box will make the wheel spin the wrong way. could be wrong its been known to happen

Nope. Standard rotation 9" 3rd member flipped upside down. It will work with the reduction boxes, but I always wondered how they get the pinion bearing properly lubed

Renegade Jpr said:
Its all about Hummer 9" axles. Humvee potrals with CTIS and a nodular 9" diff.

hummer9%20front.jpg

Hummer9%20front%20done.jpg

:smoker: I think I just came on myself

I really like

Rufies97XJ said:
Whats the price for these? Or do i even wanna know?

Steve Gerstner makes those and I think he asks about 3k per axle (thats just the number that stick in my head - drop by PBB and PM him)

There is another guy on pirate that built a backing plate for a 404 (maybe 401???) gear box to bolt onto a 9" housing...

The whole deal looked pretty well thought out and very nice fabrication - just do a search over there for hybrid axles....

At that point I would be doing some u-1300's or some standard 404's with a torque tube eliminator...

Matt

(Rockwells fit my budget better - 500$ for 3 u-joint front ends!) :shhh:

Price on the ones above from USA6x6 is $4600 out the door I know its alot, but I still buying a set for my XJ in about a year or 2 along with some 37's (cool thing is I'll only be runnning 4.5" lift springs...maybe less). Here are the spec's from the site.

"This is the New "HUMMER9" axle from USA6X6 and Differential engineering for 4X4 and 6X6 applications. It features Portal Hummer hubs and C.T.I.S. standard. The lift is almost 4 inches better than a stock axle. The Nodular 9 inch center section runs a high pinion center chunk with correct oiling for no oiling problems and a true 9 inch gear strength. The high pinion helps driveshaft angle and driveshaft clearance problems. The axle is available in ANY width, with ANY pinion offset, ANY of 70 gear ratios, and any of 4 different locker styles. Each axle is built to each customers exact specifications for $4600 ea."

Hows about you call Steve instead of paying Daniel to order you an axle from Steve :roll:

Does not make much sense in my book - I get a much warmer fuzzier feeling talking to Steve who actually know his stuff instead of a sales person....

Just my 2ct's

Hehehehehe.....yea...I'll just order from Steve ;)

Abugarcia said:
I think that you would be way better off buying some Mog portals. As I recall you can pick them up for around a grand a peice and they come with a cable actuated locker, 7.56:1 gears ratio, and they are tougher than any 44 could dream of being.

Just my .02
a 7.56 ratio is really low for what most guys want. Thats why its common to do a ford 9in center and change the gear ration before the portal reduction.
The Mogs have a HUGE pinnion, and swapping to the 9in fixes that.
The mogs also have stock drum brakes, youll want to swap out.

This new thread shows alot of pictures comparing mog axle shafts to d44 and d60 shafts, also shows some good pics of the humemr portal setup.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=220093

JR's buggy has the ford 9 centers and mog outers, runs 42s.
Its the nices buggy Ive seen in person. I watched him go through the MAtrix
that was SICK. His Air bump stops cost abotu as much as my shocks at all 4 corners :D mog hybreds are bling, but I know my limits...
download.php

download.php

Back