• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount the spare

Where should the Spare be mounted?

• On the Roof

Votes: 162 35.9%
  • On the back

Votes: 218 48.3%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 71 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidOps

NAXJA Forum User
ok... let's get a vote on this. I'm going to be doing something rather soon, and want to know what's best... So who does what and why? Let's VOTE!!

:yelclap:

LiquidOps said:
ok... let's get a vote on this. I'm going to be doing something rather soon, and want to know what's best... So who does what and why? Let's VOTE!!

:yelclap:

What size tires are you running?

okay, I'm explaining.

I have no spare.

I can't justify the cost of a fifth tire and beadlock rim when I have the ability to unseat the tire if I have to patch, otherwise I bring plugging kits.

if all else fails and the tire can still be locked on the bead, I'll drive it that way, being I run 4-5lbs of air to begin with.

I'm glad I don't have the extra space or weight concerns.

I know I rep a minority, but even if I had a daily driver, my answer would be "spare tire on the inside" ala-scott mac.....

post pics scott.

Fullsizexj said:
How come you did not put "under the gastank like a truck" as a option

eh?? are you being serious??

I know i'm a n00b at all of this stuff still, but the fact that I'm running only a 3" lift sounds like a bad idea if i want any ground clearance at all....

so yeah...

LiquidOps said:
eh?? are you being serious??

I know i'm a n00b at all of this stuff still, but the fact that I'm running only a 3" lift sounds like a bad idea if i want any ground clearance at all....

so yeah...
:D just messing with ya

I just lay mine in the back. I use where the rear seat belts mounted as anchors for a ratchett strap...
picture.JPG

...I do carry tire plugs and an onboard air source as well. I did this because I used to have it on the back and got tired of dragging it on everything. Also, the stress from the weight and leverage started several cracks in the unibody around the hatch and where the rear bumper mounts.

Jes

spares

I asked a buddy of mine on the trail once were his spare was...he then told me I was carrying it. :D

I run my 35" in the back end...with the seat down. I have run it on the bumperbefore, but I like seeing out of the back window. Never had it on the roof though. 31's?, put it on the back bumper.

rear tire

If you are looking for a cheep way to mount your spare on the back go to a yard and get a spare tire carier from an up-country model. Just rember to get the plate that is spot welded to the frame inside the rear quarter panel. This will require a drill and torx and drill bits but mine works great. you may have to get longer lugs pressed in i just drilled them out and used bolts and it works fine. All in all, it cost 13 bucks :)

will a 31-10.50 fit in the back in the factory location?........oh yeah its going in a `99 classic with the speakers on the roof..........if so that is where mine will be

I like to use my interior space for cool things like grill, camping equipment, etc. I'll be building up a rear tire carrier/jerry can holder for a custom rear bumper. I'm thinking that by reinforcing the unibody and by engineering everything properly, I'll have absolutely no problems.

If you have a hitch, you could use the hitch mounted tire carrier from Quadratec. It's cheaper than an entirely new rear bumper with a tire carrier on it, and can be taken off whenever you want.

i was wondering about this subject this morning

i was thinking the back bumper...but since i'm just a dumb welder i hadn't thought about the view out the back issues. i dont plan on anything larger than 31's, but space is a premium. does anybody have any figures on how much 31's, a water can, a jerry (both full) weigh and how much the stock mounts will hold. i have a 2000xj and it is a DD...
the patch and plugs sound like a good optoin too (but then theres the cost of air vs a spare)...some holes may be too big to patch (i have to think about it this way because i am the king of freak accidents)
so...my vote is the rear tire mount for anything DD and 31 or under.

I just put a 2-3 inch gash in the sidewall of my 31 yesterday so I definitely want something more than just plugs and patches. I'm going to just stick mine laying down in the back since one of my current 31's will be moved to spare status and I don't think it will fit in the stock location (although I haven't tried yet).

gas is aroung 7lbs per gallon and water is 8.33 per gallon and a 33" with steel rim is about 2 beers and vicoden (SP)to stop the pain

no spare for me. Double bead locked rims with SXs and plugs,wire and patches=no need for it. My tire/wheels weigh 134 pounds a piece. This is what Jes weighs and I don't even like him in the car with me ;)

SeanP

When the family is out playing the spare rides up on the roof rack. When I'm solo, it rides in back on top of my tool / spare parts drawer. I wouldn't go without a spare & I carry plugs & have a york compressor under the hood. I've needed the spare too many times & normally it's not on the trail for me. After time, running tires at these low pressures takes it's toll on side walls. I shreaded a tire a few weeks ago coming back from a snow run. I was running 65 down hwy 41 when it let loose. Plugs & OBA won't do you any good if there's nothin left to fix. A trail only rig can maybe get away with it as speed is what normally sheads them, but a DD as got to have a spare some where IMO. A swing out on the back bumper is out of the question for me. Being able to see out the rear is a must & all that weight really takes it's toll on the unibody.

Matt

how about in the back... flat :D The way I measured it out, you can squeeze in (although this would be a TIGHT fit) up to a 33" tire (probably about 1150, not too sure about the 1250). The working area does get increased though if you ever plan to replace your rear bench with two seats :D

In any case, the way I got my XJ setup is I have a lamb grill :)D thanks Richard for making that comparison! I think it will haunt me forever now) that allows me to put coolers, spares and so on on top. Also, I still have room to keep tools underneath next to the tire with my socket set on top of the spare :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back