• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks, wheels, tires

Jeff B

NAXJA Forum User
Hey what's up. I'm running a 96 XJ right now, about 2.5" lift, stock wheels, BFG 30x9.50 AT/KOs. The lift is actually a custom made job, consisting of the front springs from a V8 Grand Cherokee and an aal for the rear that I had fabbed. I think my shocks (stock or oem) are probably limiting my lift a bit (just guessing from the spring rate and length of the front springs and that my car's rear end is still up in the air a bit and tends to bounce a lot and has had plenty of time for the springs to break in). Anyway, I'm on a budget and looking for new shocks. Any suggestions?

Shortly, I want to upgrade wheels and tires. I'm looking at the AR 767 wheels with a good deal of backspacing and trying to determine tire size. I'd like to run 31s or 32s and I really like my ATs, so I'd like to stick with those. What's my best bet for all around capability?
Thanks,
Jeff

if you have a good parts store nearby........they should be able to tell you the lenght .......both extended and compressed of their cheap shocks......my buddy just did this for his tacoma.........not as good as some shocks but definatley cheaper.....$55.00 for four...

Just to let you know there are more than a few of us who ran into problems with the AR 767 rims either bending too easily or arriving "pre-bent" from the factory. Three of mine were bent, one of which I know for certain was that way when new. Just be aware.

With such a minimal lift as you have, 30" tires seem about right. You can likely get away with 31s if you wheel mildly, or trim fenders for more clearance if necessary. Fitting 32s will need major trimming and even then you'll have severely limited travel if you off-road any place where articulation is necessary. As for backspacing, there are lots of opinions out there. I used to run 4" BS'd rims and now use 4.5" BS'd rims with my 32s. Personally, I prefer the 4.5" for the look and less wear & tear on components. BTW, I have an average of 6" of lift (6.5" rear, 5.5" front, soon to be leveled out).

And if you haven't regeared you will notice a big difference when going to 31 and, especially, 32" tires. Heck, I noticed an immediate difference going from stock to LT235 tires on my first XJ without regearing. You might consider saving up $$$ for a regear when you go up in tire size. It may look cool with larger tires, but it's a total drag when your XJ can't pull hills worth a damn and gas mileage goes down.

As for the ride, I am not a fan of AALs and the usual clamping style that prevents the leaves from flexing. They provide a rather harsh ride and I remain unconvinced that any shock will improve it. I don't mean to sound negative, but my ideas here are based on personal experience and the experience of those who traveled this road before me. Good luck.

Sorry, I forgot to add...

I've heard good things about the Skyjacker hydro shocks. I plan to get these myself this year. I've run 2 sets of Rusty's shocks, which provided a great ride............for about 3-6 months at best.

Back