• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 disconnect issues

Moriarty581

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 XJ, I6, 5spd, NP321 and reacently the vacuum servo has stopped disengageing the front axle causeing my front driveshaft to spin all the time.. and the annoying little part time light to stay on. I removed the servo from the axle and cleaned it everything seems to work and shift correctly. However i am only receving vacuum in one vacuum line to the servo, the yellow one (middle of three on the servo). In my understanding the yellow line engages the front axle and should not have a vacuum in 2wd mabee i am wrong. But i am not getting a vacuum out of either of the other two lines (white and green) regardless of transfer case position. I am assuming that the problem lies in the swich which controls these lines so does anyone know where it is located. I seem to recall that there are 4 lines going into the transfer case near the speedo cable that if i remember are the same colors. does this have anything to do with it? also what is the proper orientation of the plug.
Please help,
Ted Frazer

The switch is screwed into the transfer case. It isn't very expensive, either. Last time I got one it was under 20 bucks. First, of course, you should make sure all the lines are good. When you do the switch, it can sometimes be hard to get the lines reconnected to it because the new switch may not be turned the same way as the old one, and there isn't much twist available in the harness. Don't overtighten the switch, though, because you can strip the threads in the TC.

The vacuum switch can get sticky when it's old, and work intermittently, as well as leaking and just not working at all.

By the way, when I had my 87, every single thing that could happen to this system happened at least once, except that the fork on the shift motor never broke. One of the things that happened was that a rust pinhole developed in one of the metal vacuum lines to the shift motor. It took a while to figure that one out.

On my 90 cherokee I had to change the metal section of the lines, they're located on the frame on the pass side of the engine compartment. They were rusted shut and I replaced them with rubber hose.

Now I have a problem of water collecting in the vaccum actuator. Anyone know of a fix??

Back