• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plastic axle piece.....?

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok, when I took apart the abs axle the shafts had these weird white things on the shaft near the ears. What are they? There is no way they are a seal.... Maybe to keep dust out but not gear oil in. Are they needed? I broke one when the hub let go. The brake dust shield got destroyed on one side too so I left it off. Any thoughts? TIA!

Ghost, those are called "slingers", and are a gravel/dirt guard. I tried to get some from the local dealer with no luck. They didn't stock them. I tried several sources with no success; finally left them off and forgot about it.

They would probably keep larger debris out of the axle tube, but so far I haven't had any problems running without them.

As mentioned they are to keep some of the debris out of the axle tubes. I replaced mine with a much better, although costly, axle tube seal from Superior Axle & Gear as sold through their affiliate Drivetrain Direct. Reason for my madness was I had a fair amount of mud/sand accumulated in my front diff when I pulled apart my diff to regear and install an ARB air locker. With the air locker in there now, I want to double the protection from outside water/dirt.

Ok....

I think I saw them refered to as Dust shields.

Ghost, They are indeed referred to as “slingers” in the Dana parts catalog. I assume that this is for your ’94 and it uses the same front axle as my ’91. If you are looking for the two-piece white plastic things that snap together, they don’t make them any more. They have been superceded by a two-piece thin metal cover and they are not interchangeable. The guy at my local axle place gave me the low down on it and said that they weren’t really necessary. They don’t do a very good job of keeping water, mud, or sand out of the axle. They just keep the really big stuff from getting in there. I broke both sides on my about 1 ½ years ago and have been running with out them ever since. Hasn’t been a problem yet, but I don’t intentionally cross rivers either.

I've been running without them for 3 years now.

I actually forgot that I had them (or rather...broke them) until you mentioned it.

If you really feel like putting the old ones back in, and have both pieces, but the little tabs that hold the flanges together are broken, you can take a drill and drill holes right down near the shaft and put them together with a wire tie.

Sorry I can't describe exactly what I mean, but if you place the two halves together, and then look at where you would have to drill to hold them together with a wire tie, I think you'll get what I mean.

Thanks Guys......

I kinda figured I did not need them but I thought I would ask. Good idea Matt. I like that. I may do that. They are actually off a ABS equiped 89 or so axle.

Back