• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheels, Backspacing and 31" BFG's

markpr

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I have a '95 Cherokee, 147K with a 1.5" OME budget lift (shocks, shackles and poly spacers). I have the OEM wheels with 31/10.5/R15 BFG AT/KO's and have some minor rub on the control arms.

I don't want to reduce the turning radius and would prefer to replace the wheels (starting to rust) than use wheel spacers. I would also like to maintain good onroad handling as this is my go everywhere Jeep.

Does anyone know the backspacing I currently have and whether new wheels with 3.75" backspacing would be enough to clear the control arms? Any wheel recommendations that I can get locally from one of the big tire chains?

thanks

Mark

If you have the stock 15x7 steel rims, the backspacing is going to be 5.25". With a budget boost lift and 31's, 3.75" BS wheels are not going to rub the LCA's, but they will rub your fenders. You might want to look into something with 4.5-4.75" BS for a happy medium, so you wont rub either arms or fenders as much if at all. All the aftermarket wheel backspacing I am refering to would be on a 15x8" rim. On a 15x7" aftermarket wheel, add 1/4" to the refered backspacing (15x7 with 4.75" BS or a 15x8 with 4.5" BS would be good).

wheels or control arms

I also thought about replacing the control arms (Quadratec do some adjustable ones for around $180) but as the wheels are looking scruffy I thought it may be the better option.

I should have no trouble picking up some 4.75-3.75" backspaced wheels locally so maybe the question now is that with the price of either option being much the same - which is the best way to go for handling/performance and longevity of other components. (wheel rust aside for now). Control Arms or Wheels?

Are there any pros/cons for changing backspacing from 5.75" up to 3.75"

thanks

Mark

Back