• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rhinoline, herculine? Who is happy with the interior w/o carpet?

SeanP

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after my rather intrusive floor pan mod to stuff my atlas up higher, I am pretty sure that I don't want to put the carpet back in. here are my options:

1) Pay someone to spray in liner. I really hate to pay ANYBODY $$ to do things to my jeep so this is unlikely.
2) Buy the stuff you roll in yourself. I don't want to do a whole crap load of prep for this as I have some of those sticky reflective heat things on my floor.

Should I be concerned with heat? I have heard of a ceramic micro-bead additive that you mix with paint that dramatically reduces heat transfer. I am thinking of doing the under-tunnel and the floor with this and then maybe some liner over this.

Anybody done this and are you happy with results?

Thanks

SeanP

Sean. I did the herculiner in mine. I think they way to go, is a REALLY thick coat of do it yourself bedliner, with carpet on the top of it. It is really load and it woulda been really nice to have carpet in there. Make the carpet really easy to take out. JMO

MATT

I have been meaning to do something with mine - but between welding new brackets to the floor, chopping the back so I get lots of water on the floor I have not gotten to open the can of Herc I have...

I just put in reuseable drain plugs a while back and leave them open most of the time - water comes in - water goes out...

Perhaps someday I will line the floor but noise and heat seam to be non-issues

Matt

I used a roll on bed liner on the inside of my XJ. This is going back about 3.5 years now but the first winter I put the carpet back in. I didn't find heat was an issue and the carpet just held moisture so I haven't used it since. It is noisier but when you drive a lifted rig noise seems to be less and less of an issue.

I do love the ease of cleaning...I can clean the entire interior floor of my truck with a garden hose and scrub brush. I don't have to worry about deep water crossings or mud inside...it just washes out.

Herc'd the interior. It's okay, noisy though. I figured would dampen the sound more. I have the fatmat stuff on top of the herc, but you could easily roll the stuff over that. Unless you are planning on 'show and shine' the rig, why pay someone to do what you can in a couple hours for hundred's less?

SeanP said:
Well, after my rather intrusive floor pan mod to stuff my atlas up higher, I
Thanks

SeanP

Got any pictures of the Atlas II from the nuderside. How much higher is it.

Having trouble with front driveline bind yet at full droop?

mark

Mark Hinkley said:
Got any pictures of the Atlas II from the nuderside. How much higher is it.

Having trouble with front driveline bind yet at full droop?

mark

got pics at work computer. I tried to drill some more index holes into the atlas clocking ring but there just wasn't enough room for another set. The problem was with my long arm cross member. It was sandwiching the altas between the floor and the crossmember, allowing absolutely no driveline movement. I clearanced the floor about 2" on the drivers side of atlas (which points at 8 oclock if you can picture that, 9 oclock being perfectly flat). I build a 3/4" spacer from 6061 that goes between the tranny mount and the tranny, thereby lifting the altas about 3/4" off the crossmember. Not too worried about driveline bind as the front output is only about 3/4" higher now. It would be equiv. of a bit taller lift and I am only about 7" right now.

SeanP

Spray in Polyurethane Liner

SeanP said:
Well, after my rather intrusive floor pan mod to stuff my atlas up higher, I am pretty sure that I don't want to put the carpet back in. here are my options:

1) Pay someone to spray in liner. I really hate to pay ANYBODY $$ to do things to my jeep so this is unlikely.
2) Buy the stuff you roll in yourself. I don't want to do a whole crap load of prep for this as I have some of those sticky reflective heat things on my floor.

Should I be concerned with heat? I have heard of a ceramic micro-bead additive that you mix with paint that dramatically reduces heat transfer. I am thinking of doing the under-tunnel and the floor with this and then maybe some liner over this.

Thanks

SeanP

My buddy had a local guy spray in black polyurethane bedliner in 97, and it literally still looks new. He said heat was never an issue in the first place, and that did not change after the liner addition. I must say that it looks really nice as well, as though it was a factory option...

I just herculined mine. Takes forever to dry in the winter. Haven't decided if the carpet is going back in. I am thinking prob not. I don't think the kit price of $80 can be beat to do the whole inside.

SeanP said:

2)
I have some of those sticky reflective heat things on my floor.

Thanks

SeanP
I'd like to learn more about floor pan mod! What should I search?
Sounds like mine is applied much thinner and I haven't had it a full year But I love my herc!! For shinny metal things I roughed and xyol over them just like rest of floor. For heat reasons I Did keep the rubber mat that hangs against firewall. To herc over that I made a layer of fiberglass

Do any of you have pictures? I have all of my carpet out, but am waiting until spring for warmer tempertures. Would really like to see what it looks like though.

I Herculined my '91 after an extended stay in a little creek causing a little flooding inside. I had some rust holes to fix anyway. Herculiner is like POR-15 with little bits of rubber mixed in. Don't get any on your....do I really need to say it? I used a whole gallon which resulted in about an 1/8" thick coating. It's easy but you will need all weekend for coatings that are about 4 hour apart. I ended up with four coats using up the whole gallon. It's not my DD so I was able to let it sit for a week untill the fumes became less toxic. I still had to drive with the windows down for another week. Tip: The one roller that comes with the kit is not a enough for more then two coats. It dries up and becomes unusable. If you want another roller, Lowes sales an identical but wider one. Just cut it in half to give you two.

I threw out the carpet pad and heat insulating material. Then removed the backing from the carpet exposing the rubber carpet base. I cut the carpet into three pieces, two front and one across the floor in the back. They are just like large form fitting floor mats now. The top edge of the front carpet pieces tuck up under the center console. They can be removed just by picking them up and pulling them out.

Heat was a big problem. The underside of the carpet started melting above the Cat and on the right side of the tranny tunnel next to the front seat. I ended up using some heat barrier material from Summit Racing glued to the under side of the floor board above the exhaust. I think newer XJ's come with heat shields above the exhaust instead of an insulator under the carpet. If I was aware of this before this mod I would have bought these shields instead of the heat barrier material from Summit.

It is a lot noisier then before and the Herculiner smells like an old 70's Volkswagon Beatle. However, I do like the results over-all.

TLange said:
I .

Heat was a big problem. before and the Herculiner smells like an old 70's Volkswagon Beatle. However, I do like the results over-all.

Thanks for the post. Did you have to do much prep work before the herculiner went on. I might get some more of those adhesive heat barriers and put them on the inside and underside. Can you herculine over these?

SeanP

SeanP said:
Thanks for the post. Did you have to do much prep work before the herculiner went on. I might get some more of those adhesive heat barriers and put them on the inside and underside. Can you herculine over these?

SeanP

The prep work is fairly easy. Just scuff everything with a 3M pad and wipe clean with MEK. MEK and Herc will make you goofy without proper ventilation. If you have rust this is good time fix it as I did.

About the heat barrier - I used two of the 12" X 24" sheets with four tubes of LokTite high heat silicone glue. This is a "reflective" heat barrier. Since it's reflective it would have no effect if used inside the interior. I wouldn't Herc over it anyway. It goes on the under side of the floor with the foil facing the exhaust system. You will need to clean the area so the glue will take hold. Also consider using small stainless steel cap bolts with fender washers to hold it up as well. I punched a 3/8" hole in the barrier wherever it hangs down in a "pocket" so water wouldn't collect. Attaching the heat barrier was actually the hardest part of Herculining.

Someone had told me that their 2000 XJ has factory heat sheilds above the exhaust. I haven't seen it myself so I don't know if this is true. Maybe somebody on this forum would chime in and confirm or deny this.

If external factory heat sheilds are available I would go this route if the cost is not too bad. Keep in mind that 2 sheets of the heat barrier and the glue cost me around $50 and it was fustrating to attach.

Hope this helps you!!

Do you have an air compressor and spray gun? It looks 10x better IMHO. If you do I would suggest this stuff called Rattleguard, its mad to be sprayed on and it looks great. It doesn't cost much and my friend and I actually spray in peoples truck beds w/ and charge $200-$300 and it always turns out great.

They have Rattleguard ads on ebay, just look them up.

TLange said:
Attaching the heat barrier was actually the hardest part of Herculining.

Someone had told me that their 2000 XJ has factory heat sheilds above the exhaust. I haven't seen it myself so I don't know if this is true. Maybe somebody on this forum would chime in and confirm or deny this.

Under my carpet my whole cargo has the layer of heat sheild, maybe the whole Jeep. I'm talking about the multi-colored stuff under the carpet w/ the silver on top of it.

If you don't want to do the prep work don't do the liner. The liner job is only as good as the prep work that you do. If you don't take your time and do real good prep work the liner will peal off.

Steelerfan said:

If you don't want to do the prep work don't do the liner. The liner job is only as good as the prep work that you do. If you don't take your time and do real good prep work the liner will peal off.

I have three of the reflective stick on shields on the interior that came from the factory. They are a PITA to remove (I had to grind down some to prep for welding the floor). Can I not just spray over these? Yes, I have a compressor and the spray gun is like $20.

SeanP

Back