• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which winch to buy???

atowley

NAXJA Forum User
I'm buying a winch in two weeks and I'm just polling to see which one you'd buy. Here are some of my options. A Mile marker 8000 pound electric winch (http://www.milemarker.com/e-winch8.html), Ramsey's 8500E (http://www.ntwonline.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=48&Product_ID=1359&CATID=14),superwinch's 9X 9000 pound winch (http://www.superwinch.com/products/winches/xseries/x9.html), or pierce Winches 9000 pound transfer winch. I like this one because it comes with the roller fairlead and mounting plate. (http://www.piercewrecker.com/winch.htm). I wouldn't mind a Warn winch, but I remember them being a bit on the spendy side.

Warn period.

-jb

I had to decide for a winch too in the last few weeks and i choose on that is not listed here. I've ordered a Milemarker hydro 10500 because it is sealed and will also pull for a few minutes without overheating where all electric winches give up. I know you have to have a running engine but where will you go with an electric without a running engine?

XJoachim said:
I know you have to have a running engine but where will you go with an electric without a running engine?

Sometimes just far enough to get that non-running motor started! Or that seat cover out of you a$$ from hanging off that edge, sideways!
And The electrics WILL let you steer!
Sorry, I just seen way too many problems with hydro winches not working when needed. Way more than elec ones failing. I truely hope yours works great for you.

As for the other post: GO WARN!

mark

looks like ya can't discuss with winches without firing off the hydro vs. electric debate....

so here goes!

maybe this will mean something.....

I USED to own a 10,500 Milemarker hydro winch. while it was slower than electrics, it pulled like hell all day long. The "what happens when your engine dies" never bothered me. I figured if that happened I could care less about my winch. I never wheel alone, and figured it would be EXTREMELY rare if something liek that became an issue.

My biggest problem with hydro winches is not when you are winching other vehicles, its when you are winching YOURSELF!!! I can't think of a time where i didn't need both foreward momentum from the winch, AND high steering pressure at the same time. I know there is a way to mod the "steering priority" valving, but that does not solve the problem. When I need POWER at the winch while I need POWER at the steering box, it calls for an electric winch IMHO....yeah, you could plug up an additional pump, but why go to all the trouble? hydros just don't have the advantage at that point.

now I am running an 8274.....

that decision wasn't based on advice or looking at the pros and cons, it was from running both of them, and picking the best one.

expensive way to choose a product.

I learned my lesson.

Beezil said:
My biggest problem with hydro winches is not when you are winching other vehicles, its when you are winching YOURSELF!!! I can't think of a time where i didn't need both foreward momentum from the winch, AND high steering pressure at the same time. I know there is a way to mod the "steering priority" valving, but that does not solve the problem. When I need POWER at the winch while I need POWER at the steering box, it calls for an electric winch IMHO....yeah, you could plug up an additional pump, but why go to all the trouble? hydros just don't have the advantage at that point.
Good Point, i didn't want to start a hydro vs. electric debate.

Right, you have to do something about the pump that drives the winch. At about 99% of the applications we need a winch over here it's to get you up a steep climb where you can not drive up because you have no traction and you're most likely to flip backwards so steering power is not an issue if you ever need to winch yourself.

I put in a modified pump that runs at the max. pressure and flow the milemarker would allow for so i think if i ever have to steer while winching it should work. I also run a 1/2 gal. reservoir of steering fluid and a cooler so i should be fine. It is more important for me that my winch does not give up while i use it because we use them at competition so the time you need for winching is essential.

Ditto on the hydro mostly not working the way we need them to work. I've seen them not work with both better pumps and large reserve resevoirs. When you have to steer on a hard pull they just quit winching. We've had to turn rigs around numerous times to winch a guy with a perfectly good Milemarker hydraulic winch. I don't care if I ever see another one. Our club used to lead an annual overnight run up Surprise Canyon in Panamint Valley. After bad experinces with hydraulic winches we quit allowing them on the run.

In certain situations they work great, but in most wheeling situations when you are pulling yourself, they're a PIA because of not being able to turn and winch at the same time. Don't mean to side track this thread by continuing the elec vs hydo discussion......but I didn't bring it up. :D

As far as electric, go Warn, they're easily worth the money. If you can't, get a name brand with good service, and stay away from the Superwinch, they are unbearably slow.

Warn HS9500i :D

I believe warn is probably the best but my ramsey 9000 has gotten me out of some bad situations

Back