• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I have Limited Slip Differentials?

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I am going to change the gear oil in my differentials as soon as this weather breaks. I am not sure if I have the LSDs. I read the owner's manual about changing the diff fluid and it said to add the friction modifier if I have LSDs, but did not say how I could tell.

1990 Cherokee Laredo
4.0 I6
AW4 & 231J
Dana 35 rear (No ABS)

How can I tell if I have the LSDs?

Thanks for the help folks!
MoFo

Quick check is to jackup the rear, spin one tire, if the tire on the other side spins the reverse direction you DO NOT have a LSD, if it spins in the SAME direction you probably DO have a LSD. Also look for a metal tag on the diff cover, that usually says you have one if it's there.

If you have a LSD, it will be rear only. The factory did not put LSD in the front.

RichP said:
Quick check is to jackup the rear, spin one tire, if the tire on the other side spins the reverse direction you DO NOT have a LSD, if it spins in the SAME direction you probably DO have a LSD. Also look for a metal tag on the diff cover, that usually says you have one if it's there.

A badly worn out Track-Lok "may" spin the tire in the opposite direction like an open diff does... OTOH my 88 with 200k on it's LSD still spins both tires same way doing the 'jack & spin' test.

Back