• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MAY have a fully loaded D44 for sale soon....

Andy in Pa.

NAXJA Member #180
A buddy of mine has a Lincoln Versaille 9" rear he wants to sell. I have him checking "back-plate to back-plate" measurements. Can you say disc brakes and THE STRONGEST 9" ever put in a car from the factory?? This rear has the factory trusses from the pumpkin to the 3-1/4" axle tubes. It has 3.73's and a limited slip right now, so 4.56's and a locker of some sort would be in order before install. I am really hoping it is close to the XJ D44 back plate dimension. :D

A.

[quote:546981de12="Andy in Pa."]A buddy of mine has a Lincoln Versaille 9" rear he wants to sell. I have him checking "back-plate to back-plate" measurements. Can you say disc brakes and THE STRONGEST 9" ever put in a car from the factory?? This rear has the factory trusses from the pumpkin to the 3-1/4" axle tubes. It has 3.73's and a limited slip right now, so 4.56's and a locker of some sort would be in order before install. I am really hoping it is close to the XJ D44 back plate dimension. :D

A.[/quote:546981de12]

I has been a while since I have read about Lincoln Versaille 9in rearend. But I used to be into classic mustangs, and the one thing I thought I read about why the Versailles rearends were bad was b/c of a weak/bad diskbrake design, and the stock callipers/rotors were very expensive even from the parts store, they also either had a weak pinion, or axle yoke I think, don't remember which. Like I said, its been awhile, so don't hold me too all this. Just trying to let you know what I thought I knew. :) -Tim

I had those brakes on my Toyota pick up,it had a 427 Chevy with 44 Swampers and the brakes worked fine.They had mechanical parking brake hook up that I never hooked up so I dont know about that.If you need a 31 spine Detroit let me know ,I can probably find one for you.You can easily make the 9" what ever width you want,you would need aftrmarket axle's though.If you need any work done to it let me know,I have a very good 9" fabricator connection.

The person that has the rear right now was planning on narrowing it and running it in an 8 second Mustang, but he sold the car before he built the rear. Thanks for the info Tim, I'll find out about any weak issues with the rear if there is any. Also, thanks Magoo, I'll keep that in mind if I need to do any custom work, that is, if I do get this axle. We'll see, I haven't gotten the backing plate measurement yet.

A.

Back