• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bearings right or wrong?

kirby

NAXJA Forum User
Just recieved front gears bearings for my dana 30 and noticed that on the box it says grand cherokee. I figure that the axles are the same but not sure. Tell me if they sent me the wrong ones because I was going to install them this weekend. It's for a 98xj.

The XJ and ZJ differentials are different in high pinion vs. low pinion. The carrier bearings are the same, but the pinion bearings are different. I know the outer pinion bearing is different for sure. Not sure about the inner pinion bearing. The high pinion XJ D30 uses shims for pinion preload and the ZJ uses a crush sleeve. Was it an install kit, or just a bearing kit? You may be able to source the missing bearing from a local parts store, but if you weren't given the correct set up parts you are pretty much stuck and need to get a new kit. Long post just to say they are different for sure.

Bryan

two options,

either wait till monday and call your vendor, (it wasn't me was it?) they should expedite the correct parts to you at there expense.

don't be afraid to tear into your front end. your local parts store will have one in stock. when you pull the old bearing out you can match up the #'s.

the thing that your stuck with is that if it is a grand install kit then it should have a crush sleave. then you will be without the pinion preload shims. you could try calling the local driveline shops and they shoudl have some extra shims they might give you.
if you get really stuck you can give me a call.
I didn't sell you the parts but I will be happy to talk you thru it if needed...

The set-up is also different between the two axles, too. A LP axle uses a crush sleeve for the pinion depth, and a HP axle uses shims. (much better!)

It's the whole bearing istall kit and yes it has the crush sleeve and all. It did come with some shims that look like they'd work for the pinion setup and I still have some old ones from my last install. So autozone or someone will have the pinion bearings I need or should I just use the old ones? They have only been in the axle for about 6 months.

kirby said:
It's the whole bearing istall kit and yes it has the crush sleeve and all. It did come with some shims that look like they'd work for the pinion setup and I still have some old ones from my last install. So autozone or someone will have the pinion bearings I need or should I just use the old ones? They have only been in the axle for about 6 months.
In my opinion, it's not a good idea to reuse old bearings. You hopefully don't get into the diff all that often, so why not replace everything while you're in there. Six months is not a long time, but it's only another $20 or so.
I believe you can get the bearing at Autozone or NAPA.
I have reused old shims before; just make sure they're in good shape and SPOTLESSLY CLEAN! ANY dirt on them will throw off the depth and preload adjustments.

Just a quick correction Bill.

They both use shims to set the pinion depth. but the grand uses a crush sleave to set the Pinion bearing pre-load. the HP uses shims, and the LP TJ uses a crush sleeve.
there are three seperat kits listed.

if you need to re-use the bearings here is what I suggest. you can swap the carrier bearings around, RIght on left a left on right. the pass side bearing sees heavier loads, so swapping them is kinda a cheat but it will work. you could re-use the outer pinion bearing if needed because it only see's it hardest work in reverse.
but this is a front axle we are talking about anyways so the bearings should be in really good shape after only six months...

You did not get the right stuff so call the vendor you bought it from. He should exchange it at his expense because he gave you the wrong parts. But this is only if you're sure you ordered the right install kit. Don't mess around with used shims or bearings. I have a shop myself and i refuse to reuse any old bearing when setting up gears. You paid for them so you should have them.

Rawbrown said:
Just a quick correction Bill.

They both use shims to set the pinion depth. but the grand uses a crush sleave to set the Pinion bearing pre-load. the HP uses shims, and the LP TJ uses a crush sleeve.
there are three seperat kits listed.

if you need to re-use the bearings here is what I suggest. you can swap the carrier bearings around, RIght on left a left on right. the pass side bearing sees heavier loads, so swapping them is kinda a cheat but it will work. you could re-use the outer pinion bearing if needed because it only see's it hardest work in reverse.
but this is a front axle we are talking about anyways so the bearings should be in really good shape after only six months...

Ryan-
Thanks for the clairification as far as preload and depth.. I'm suprised that the kit for the TJ and the Grand are different, though. They're the same axle AFAIK.
I learn something here everyday...
Thanks!

BillR said:
Ryan-
Thanks for the clairification as far as preload and depth.. I'm suprised that the kit for the TJ and the Grand are different, though. They're the same axle AFAIK.
I learn something here everyday...
Thanks!

The TJ (Wrangler) and the ZJ (Grand Cherokee) both use a low-pinion Dana 30 front axle. They should use the same parts.

The '84 thru '99 XJ (Cherokee) and MJ (Comanche) used the high-pinion Dana 30, and that's what is different.

like I said,

I show two different kits for the two. but I have found that Yukon gear master install kits have been the most complete I have sold/installed.

Back