• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

climate cont--fan switch burning?

banjosrunderrated

NAXJA Forum User
I can't figure out which forum this should be in, hope this is ok.

(93 sp. w/ a/c)

Are the wires that run the 3 pos. fan switch for clim. cont. housed seperately from the radio wires? I have a cheap little radio with an internal amp so the face gets real hot. It's been in for about 4 weeks and today, I started getting little whiffs of smoke from the dash. Definite electrical smell and the fan switch cut in and out, just once. I'm thinking the guy that installed the radio might've run a jumper to the fan wiring. I hope this makes sense, cuz I have zero experience with auto wiring. (well, to tell the truth, anything except guitars confuses me). I'm going to go back to the guy that installed the radio but it really could be just coincidence and I don't want to blame them for something that could just be---old car, old parts. Much appreciation as always.

thx

On my '95 XJ, the connector at the fan motor at the passenger footwell likes to get hot and melt. I avoid running the fan at top speed because of this.

This could also be your problem, if the additional amperage draw for the radio was too much for the connector to handle.

Back