• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Detroit install (question about clip on axle)

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright went to detroit ez locker in the front D30 and regeared now going to put the shafts and remembered the little clip thing that goes on the inner shaft for the passanger side (axle disconnect) is this clip needed and if it is how do I put it on with the locker installed already.
DIG IT!

Well, I think the best way is to get a one piece axle and ditch the disco assy. I installed a lock right in my buddy's disco D30 recently and that was the solution we came up with. Not sure how different the lock right vs. the ez locker, but we didn't want to take the chance of damaging the locker itself.

Bryan

ditch the clip. its not needed.

but with a detroit, your gears are gonna spin anyways which is what the vac disco was designed to eliminate.

A second recommendation on losing the clip. The center axle shaft is contained between the carrier and the outer shaft, and cannot move more than the knuckle offset of the passenger side shaft. There is more than enough spline travel to allow it to float.

It's been this way in my 88 for five years or more.

Thats what I figured but just wanted to make sure.
DIG IT!

Back