• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Questions

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
I am unable to find any kind of alternator ID on my 1995, 4.0L, AW-4, 2dr, 4wd. What is the amp rating for the alt? I am installing a CB, and some off-road lights soon, will my stock alt be able to hold up to these upgrades? I will also be upgrading from a Class II to a Class III hitch, with a tranny cooler, and I already have a non-stock CD player in it, if that means anything. Thanks in advance.

Fergie

It depends if your xj came with factory AC. if so I belive the stock alternator puts out 90amps. If you want to Upgrade both powermaster and Mean Green offer high amp alternators.

I believe XJ alternators are a version of the CS 130, typically a decent alternator. My LT1 has a cs 144 on which is the 130's big brother. It puts out about 130 amps. Providing yours is a 130, there are some upgrade options out there, also some companies have mods that can be made to the stock alternator. Iceberg conversion I believe.
Dustin

All of the '91 and new XJ's I've seen have the Nip alternator not the delco piece of garbage.

Also watch the ratings. Every factory jobby I've seen gives cold ratings. These are usually way over the hot. I've seen some that drop 50% of their output when it warms up.

If I was going to upgrade it would either be:
http://www.wranglernw.com/ - I've dealt with them many times back to around '93. They have never let me down. They are $$ but their old 130 amp was that hot. Somewhere around 170 cold.

or

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/index2.html - Just to make sure I could add a welder later.

Personally, I think your fine. I've got a delco 100 and used to run around 600 watts (rms) of radio and four Procomp 130's all night long in the desert. I never had a problem with charging. At low RPM's you could see the lights flicker sometime. :) I did burn up the rectifiers, but the radio has been gone for about 3 years and the lights haven't been on for four and they still burn out just as often.

Later,
Lincoln

Find a good local shop - that's what I did. I have a CS-130 that puts out 150A or so cold (got lucky with the armature core) at about 1200 rpm. Idle output is about 90A, and hot output is still up around 140A. This is the same guy that did my starter that pulls about 75A on crank, and I've been pleased with his work for a few years.

Fergie, if yer not in a hurry, PM me and I'll give you Rod's contact info. IIRC, shipping via ground FAZ - SJC takes two days each way, tops. He has an easier time doing upgrades for the ND alternators than the Delco - simply because the import market is so damn big...

5-90

I've got the stock factory air alternater on mine (90a I think), anyway, two Hella 500's up front, two 100W rear facing, 2 55W sides, 600 - 700W stereo, CB..I can run them all, voltage drops at idle...One of these days I'll upgrade it..but probably not 'til I break it...

Been running all that for a long time now...

Back