• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer Problem- VSS signal flaky

plainjanexj

NAXJA Forum User
My speedometer doesn't work when its cold. Really odd- the colder it is the longer it takes to work. Usually will work after one or two miles, but will be flakey for 10 or 15 miles then work fine. This also affects my after market cruise control that operates from the VSS signal like the speedo. So I have to figure that there is a bad connection or something. Haynes says that the VSS on this model comes from one of the ABS sensors - not the tranny as on earlier models. Problem is it doesn't say which one. Does someone have this info or better info from a FSM? If so what are the wire color codes to look for?

Correction

plainjanexj said:
My speedometer doesn't work when its cold. Really odd- the colder it is the longer it takes to work. Usually will work after one or two miles, but will be flakey for 10 or 15 miles then work fine. This also affects my after market cruise control that operates from the VSS signal like the speedo. So I have to figure that there is a bad connection or something. Haynes says that the VSS on this model comes from one of the ABS sensors - not the tranny as on earlier models. Problem is it doesn't say which one. Does someone have this info or better info from a FSM? If so what are the wire color codes to look for?

Turns out I don't have ABS so it looks like the VSS unit is on the tranny. I pulled the wire connection and everything looks clean. So is there something about the VSS that cold could affect? I hate to go buy a new module without knowing for sure but this is a pulse signal and I don't have a oscilloscope. Anyone had a similar problem?

Finally got tired of the speedo being flaky and rolled the dice. Changed the VSS and it fixed it. Still don't know why cold affected it - but it did. The VSS has holes so that it fills with tranny fluid. Maybe it had to be thinned out before it would work right.

Back