• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weatherstripping Help?

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
I bought some replacement weatherstripping for the forward verticle front window channels from the dealer. However, my manuals (factory and Chiltons) don't cover weatherstripping replacement. Can someone tell me if I need a glue or sealant to hold the replacement weatherstripping in the channels? If so, what kind or brand? TIA

desertred said:
I bought some replacement weatherstripping for the forward verticle front window channels from the dealer. However, my manuals (factory and Chiltons) don't cover weatherstripping replacement. Can someone tell me if I need a glue or sealant to hold the replacement weatherstripping in the channels? If so, what kind or brand? TIA
The weatherstripping is held on by adhesive. Go to any large auto parts house, preferably one that sells body repair stuff (paint, thinner,etc.). Ask for weatherstrip adhesive (3M makes some good stuff).

If you're talking about the piece that runs up and down into the door, and has a groove that the window rides in, then I think it just fits in the channel. I don't believe there's any adhesive on that part. I could be wrong.

90NHXJ said:
If you're talking about the piece that runs up and down into the door, and has a groove that the window rides in, then I think it just fits in the channel. I don't believe there's any adhesive on that part. I could be wrong.

Yes, that's the piece I'm talking about. But its the channel that serves as a guide fro the front window - the one just on the other side of the vent window (88 XJ).

desertred said:
Yes, that's the piece I'm talking about. But its the channel that serves as a guide fro the front window - the one just on the other side of the vent window (88 XJ).

No adhesives, its simply held in by pressure.

XJguy

Changing weather stripping requires some work. Get any manual that shows how to replace the front door window and follow that. You will have to remove the interior trim panel, then the vent window.

With the vent window out you install the new weatherstripping in the track. I have a new vent window on the drivers' side and the factory one on the passengers side. I have pennies under the passenger's vent window handle to make it seal better.

If you are this far into the job then buy the L shaped gasker for the top track and the rear track of the movable window on the driver's side. I think it was around 10 to 15 bucks. I also replaced the window wiper on the outside so the dew could be wiped off when i cranked down the window.

I has posted all the PNs for my 88 XJ in the past. I highly recommend you changing out all the window seals "weather stripping" on all 4 doors, makes for a quietier XJ.

If you do the L seal on the top and rear channel the trick it to install the corner then work the seal to the vent window, you will have to slightly compress it, you will get it down after a few tries. On the vertical channel work in it a similar way. I used a metal yard stick to help get the weather stripping into the chassis channel. You can do all of this changing with the movable glass still attached to the regulator, just tilt it forward.

On the question of glue there is none. The L piece is held in with friction. The front channel which is part of the vent window has one rivet in the OEM configuration but the replacement i have just in place held by friction.

Thanks Martin. I actually completed the job yesterday afternoon. The only other weatherstripping that replaced in addition to the fwd channel guide were the outside window wiper strips, as they had become dry and brittle. The other pieces were in pretty good shape. The job was pretty straight forward once I got into it. The hardest part was trying to get the rubber seal on the diagonal edge of the vent window frame to cleanly seat back into the door frame. Is a replacement available for that piece? Looks like you would have to disassemble the vent window frame to some extent to replace that seal. I also used a little white lithium grease to lubricate the electric window drive shaft track while I was in there.

BTW, I had found your post regarding the weatherstripping P/Ns. It was very helpful. I have a 2-door XJ, so the numbers were a little different for some of the pieces that you posted. The only additional advise I would offer is to shop around for dealer prices on this weatherstripping, if you can. I ended up paying $107 just for the two channel guides on the backside of the vent window frame. These were the same P/N as a 4-door XJ. It sounds as if they were quite a bit cheaper from your area dealer. That is another reason why I postponed more weatherstripping replacement at this time. The door seals will be my next weatherstripping project.

Back