• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 high / 4 low idiot light not working

Orionseye

NAXJA Forum User
just wondering why this would not work , i have looked though some other post and went to look for these vaccum blocks (new to jeeps first i have own) so i have no idea where else to look , i checked under the vac can on the right side ,yet i can not find what was posted in some other topic's. So other then the light is a easy to tell for sure i'm in 4wd. My jeep is a 1993 cherokee country with a auto trans, still working on finding these one noise i have in a another post. Also at the end of the fuel rail should it be closed off or what. Mine is like i can slide my finger in the end of it at the firewall a little bit.. i have a haynes book but i am going to call the dealer and look into a FSM book made it will be more detailed then this one .

btw: all the lights work when you start the jeep , abs, brake ect ....

I dont know if you already looked, and assuming a 93 is the same as a 91. On the front axle theres a housing on the passenger side. There will be a vacuum hose connection on it with two seperate little lines attaching to the housing. Make sure these are securely fastened.

You can tell if youre in 4wd, #1 by the sound and two when you turn the steering wheel full over it will jerk back and forth letting you know the front axle is engaged(Try not to do this on concrete if possible)

hmm okay , i feels so dumb asking this , but the light doesn't have to work does it to be in 4wd , it's command track 2wd then 4h then netural then 4L so the vaccum and light have nothing to do with it going into 4wd does ?

Dont feel dumb...I learned this the hard way. As far as I know theres a switch which actuates the light. As far as the actual front axle, theres an arm that shifts inside that front housing when vacuum is applied...think of it as a vacuum motor.

Story on my learning the hard way, I had just bought my jeep and shipped it over to Iceland(I was in the service) it had just came off of the ship and I hadnt driven it in about 2 months so I thought I would take it out. So I did, and me being from Florida promptly got stuck in the snow. So I say no problem Ill just shift into 4x4. So...I shift...and nothing. The harness had popped off during transit across the Atlantic. I had to walk back(It was dang cold) get pulled out of the drift. Next day I look up underneath and say whats this? Pop it on...and voila...I used a pice of wire to keep it from popping back off. Never had a problem since. Good luck!

I agree with XJ91, as I just bought a 99 and the light also did not come on. Before I bought there was a couple of things that was wrong I wanted to get fixed and that was one of them. They told me it was a switch on the t- case that was bad that told the light to come on. It would still go into 4 wheel drive, just the light didnt come on. They replaced the switch and now it comes on. Now weather they really replaced it or just plugged it back in, I dont know. But it now works.

i have an 89 with the vacuum disconnect. i thought the vacuum disconnect was not used on the dana 30 on the 92's and up. so i dont think you have the vacuum problem.

i would go with what tombs said and look for a switch on the transfer case.

also could be a burnt out bulb.

had the same problem on an 88 only it had the full time case. when i pulled the switch out of the transfer case i found it had fallen apart

4wd light

The light is activated by vacum.On the passenger side there should be a Blue
vacum line,some where around the blower motor, this is the line that controls the lights,Part Time Full Time.
If the line is broken or disconnected,it will not turn the light on.That DOES NOT affect the front axle disconect, only the light

Back