• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulling mileage out of the PCU

jeepxjga

NAXJA Forum User
just wondering this today at work, is there anyway to pull the actual mileage of a motor out of the computer? maybe by hooking up a diagnostic to it or something you can tell how many hrs its been run like on some of the newer diesels? just a curious thought....

Not sure but I have a gauge cluster for my 98XJ coming sometime today and will be installing it this afternoon at a friends shop. We will be looking at matching the old odometer with the gauge cluster which I think can be done thru the OBD II stuff, not sure but he's asking the snap-on tech rep in preperation.

You can check the mileage with the factory scan tool. The DRBIII can access the internal mileage counter in the PCM. I haven't used a Snap-on or other scanner for a few years so I don't know their capabilities.

Bryan

But is there a method of reading the PCM true milage and updating the instrument cluster from the PCM like I want to do.

Can you check the actual mileage through the computer on a 95, or is it just the OBDII XJs? I pulled a Carfax report on my XJ the other day and it said it had 81000 miles put on it in its first year. I think it was supposed to be 18000, but I need to see if this is a typo or if the odometer was rolled back and I got ripped of.

Last edited:
RichP said:
But is there a method of reading the PCM true milage and updating the instrument cluster from the PCM like I want to do.

This question has been asked a few times and I have yet to hear a definative answer. According to the info from DCX, the instrument cluster is a display only and the mileage is stored in the PCM. On WJs and ZJs and other DCX products with a Body Control Module, the mileage is stored inside thw BCM and sent to the cluster. Since the XJ never had a BCM, it is somewhat muddled as far as info goes. It doesn't mention exactly where the info is stored, I suspect it is stored in both the PCM and the cluster. I would say write down the mileage before you install the new cluster and sse what the new one reads once you install it. I do know that the average consumer and mechanic are unable to reset the mileage manually. When you install the new cluster, let us know what happened with the odometer display. I am interested in hearing the results from someone who has actually done the swap.

Can you check the actual mileage through the computer on a 95, or is it just the OBDII XJs? I pulled a Carfax report on my XJ the other day and it said it had 81000 miles put on it in its first year. I think it was supposed to be 18000, but I need to see if this is a typo or if the odometer was rolled back and I got ripped of.

Yes you can check the mileage in the 91 and up XJs. It may not be correct if the PCM has been changed or swapped from another vehicle. The OBD conntrollers record the VIN so you can at least trell if the controller is original or not, but the pre-96 controllers do not.

Bryan

Back