• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaking dash

joedurt1

NAXJA Forum User
When I park my 98 cherokee sport front end up on an incline during wet weather, I always end up with water on the passenger side floorboard. Joedurt2 has the same problem with his 2000 cherokee also.
I called the dealer to see if it had been reported on those models before and all they could offer was that it must have been wreaked and broken some kind of body seal. This however is not the case and especially not the case on 3 different cherokee's from 3 different model years.
Anybody else out there have the same problem or know what's up with this? Thanks..joedurt1

This has been reported before. Try a search on "Windshield" and "Leak" -- I think for most people the answer has been to have the windshield removed and reset.

My 98 DD did the exact same thing. It would only leak however when it would rain very hard. After tearing the dash completely out (PITA) and using a water hose for like an hour, I figured out it wasn't the windshield, but it was running into the heater box. What was happening on mine was that the water would run down the firewall and follow the A/C and heater lines into the heater box and then overflow into the floorboard. In addition, it also rusted my blower resistor and I had to have it replaced. I just took silicone (lots of it) and completely sealed around the heater hose and A/C inlet to the firewall and problem gone.

This is one of the most common XJ flaws. All years seem to be affected. What I did was drill a hole into the bottom of the blower housing, I then attached a nipple (flush to the inside of the housing) whereby I could run a hose to the exterior of the Jeep (hole in floor). No more leaks.

XJguy

Thanks guys. There are a couple of us out here with that problem but we weren't quite into getting out hoses and tearing out the dash in the middle of winter.

Keep the durty side down.

joedurt1 said:
Thanks guys. There are a couple of us out here with that problem but we weren't quite into getting out hoses and tearing out the dash in the middle of winter.

If you want to try the method I used no need to remove the dash, you can see the blower housing from under the dash, and can gain access to the interior of it by simply removing the blower, located in the engine bay, its held by 4 bolts if I remember correctly.

XJguy

joedurt1 said:

I have the same problem with my 88. It turned out to be that the cone shaped antenna grommet is missing on my rig. The previous owner installed an aftermarket antenna and discarded the grommet. Since they lived in a very dry part of California they never had a water problem.
The hole is located right behind the passengers side kick panel.
It's about an inch and a quarter round. My fix is find a body plug that fits, drill a hole for the wire, cut the wire, install the plug with RTV, insert the wire back thru and reconnect with a splice connecter, and finish it off with more RTV. If you have a Shop Vac combo Leaf blower use it to dry out the carpet and pads.........keep track of them moulding screws.
Good luck!

Back