• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need to know which relay is for the fuel pump

MuddyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
coming home tonight from work and the heep died as I was making the turn onto my street. hobbled it home and spent the last 2 hours trying to get it to idle and figured the last thing would be the fuel pump relay since I was not hearing it when I turned on the key like before. Please help ASAP.

You don't list your year model, but on '97s and up, the relay is located in the Power Control Module, under the hood, near the battery. Look under the lid, and it should should you a "key" to identify the relay....

Ivan

On your '88, the fuel pump relay is one of the plug-in relays that are under the plastic cover just aft of the battery. Mine seemed to be in different locations on my '87 and one of the '89s. Initially, you can swap them around to see if the problem changes. If it does then you can figure out the right one by elimination.

PaulJ said:
On your '88, the fuel pump relay is one of the plug-in relays that are under the plastic cover just aft of the battery. Mine seemed to be in different locations on my '87 and one of the '89s. Initially, you can swap them around to see if the problem changes. If it does then you can figure out the right one by elimination.

I tried that and it didn't seem to be any different after switching them around. There are for relays there so I guess next trick is to check the fuel pump.

Relays

Just throwing my.02 in here,check the fuel filter 1st

Do you here the pump turn on when you try to start the Jeep? If you don't One more thing to check is the ballast resistor on the fender by air box. I have heard that they can crack and once when I was doing work I disconnected a wire and it would not start, just crank.

Here is a diagram even though is says it is for a 4cyl the relays and resistor are in the same place.

fuel_relay.jpg

Lunatic728 said:
Do you here the pump turn on when you try to start the Jeep? If you don't One more thing to check is the ballast resistor on the fender by air box. I have heard that they can crack and once when I was doing work I disconnected a wire and it would not start, just crank.

Here is a diagram even though is says it is for a 4cyl the relays and resistor are in the same place.

fuel_relay.jpg

i just need someone that has an 88 and still has the diagram on the relay cover to tell me which one it is. i hooked up the pump to a battery charger to see if it was bad and it was pumping fuel.

MuddyXJ said:
i just need someone that has an 88 and still has the diagram on the relay cover to tell me which one it is. i hooked up the pump to a battery charger to see if it was bad and it was pumping fuel.

Back