• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check engine light; oil pressure gauge

Nihil

NAXJA Forum User
driving home today, check engine light comes on. immediately i scan the guages, notice the oil pressure is high, around 50, while cruising at 40mph (around 2000 rpm). Sitting at idle it dropped to 30 (~1000 rpm). And parked in idle it was at 20 (~900rpm). What do you think this could be?

It usually sits a little above 40 and climbs slightly with rpm, but I was having massive fluctuation today. Its been sitting for about 10 minutes, its not leaking any oil.

The "CHECK ENGINE" light is NOT tied, in any way, to the guages on the instrument panel. In other words, your oil pressure issues are independent of the light.

Chances are, if your oil pressure is fluctuating, the guage sender is bad. They are notorious for getting flakey, and a new one should fix it.

The Check Engine light is an indication that your engine control system has some sort of problem. You can go to any AutoZone, and they can, FOR FREE, use a scanner to interrogate the ECU (computer) and find out what is triggering the light. (The ECU is what actually turns the light on.)

There is a check gauges light correct? If that is what is on the gauges could trigger it, however, if it really is the check engine light then I to doubt that the oil pressure had anything to do with it. The oil press. never dropped low enough to cause alarm by your description, I also would suspect the sender, but like Nihil believe the light is something else.

Back