• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Polishing the combustion chamber

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Before the head goes to the shop, I wanted to do some polishing of the combustion chamber, to get the porous, rough surface out.

What should I use to accomplish this? Small flexible sanding disks?

Final polish with polishing compound and a fiber disk?

CRASH

Standard abrasives kit works well

The standard abrasives kit works well but you need a high speed grinder to make best use of it.
sandpaper rolls on a hand drill will do the job cheaper - not quicker!

Have the head magnafluxed before you clean it up to make sure it is in good basic condition...it is a good idea to clean the combustion chamber up to remove any sharp edges or casting irregularities (a common cause of preignition due to localized hot spots), but a full polish job will net little if any gain.

MudDawg said:
Have the head magnafluxed before you clean it up to make sure it is in good basic condition...it is a good idea to clean the combustion chamber up to remove any sharp edges or casting irregularities (a common cause of preignition due to localized hot spots), but a full polish job will net little if any gain.

Of course I had the head checked. It'd be kinda bone-headed to port and polish a cracked head.......

CRASH

MudDawg said:
Sorry Crash, no offense intended.

I'm just giving you shiit because I've been dealing with Legislators all day, and they ARE boneheads!

CRASH

Back