• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remanufactured vs. Used Engine

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
Well, replacement rod and main bearings didn't solve my knock problem. The rod bearings were so worn that the wrist pin(s) may very well need replacing. Plus, my oil pressure is still low. I considering purchasing a remanufactured engine sinec I would be taking steps close to a rebuild anyway. A search brought up a couple of sites that offered remanufactured long blocks for approximately $1400. Can anyone lead me to a good vendor for reman engines? Anyone have a bad experience with a particular vendor?

Another (cheaper) option would be to pick up a motor from a junk yard. Other than not knowing what shape to engine is in to begin with, are there any other concerns with a salvage yard engine. What are the benefits and pitfalls with each? This is for an 88 4.0.

A used engine is a bit of a crap shoot at best. It may be only marginally better than what you already have. A reman engine is probably a good bet, but what about just having a local machine shop rebuild your original engine, which should be as good or better than a reman? At least you know what you've got, and most importantly, warranty issues can be dealt with locally.

I had my 4.0 rebuilt. I looked at reman engines like Jasper and the like but the rebuild was cheaper. I've been pretty happy with it. I'd check a couple shops for some quotes.

Reman. Engines

desertred said:
Well, replacement rod and main bearings didn't solve my knock problem. The rod bearings were so worn that the wrist pin(s) may very well need replacing. Plus, my oil pressure is still low. I considering purchasing a remanufactured engine sinec I would be taking steps close to a rebuild anyway. A search brought up a couple of sites that offered remanufactured long blocks for approximately $1400. Can anyone lead me to a good vendor for reman engines? Anyone have a bad experience with a particular vendor?

Another (cheaper) option would be to pick up a motor from a junk yard. Other than not knowing what shape to engine is in to begin with, are there any other concerns with a salvage yard engine. What are the benefits and pitfalls with each? This is for an 88 4.0.

Try this sight here: rebuilt-auto-engines.com/jeep-engines.html. They claim to have a 7 year warrenty on their engines. And there prices are not that bad either.

Tombs said:
Try this sight here: rebuilt-auto-engines.com/jeep-engines.html. They claim to have a 7 year warrenty on their engines. And there prices are not that bad either.

Thanks for the link. That is actually one of the sites that I had found during a search. And, they are relatively close to me (180 miles) that the idea of traveling up there to pick up the engine and return the core is not too far removed (if they will allow that). The price does seem reasonable versus a rebuild, assuming I provide the labor for installation.

Concerning rebuilds, I assume one needs to remove and deliver the engine to the machine shop performing the task. Is this correct, or do you drop the vehicle off and pick it up when finished? I'm trying to weigh the total cost as to which option I end up choosing.

desertred said:
Concerning rebuilds, I assume one needs to remove and deliver the engine to the machine shop performing the task. Is this correct, or do you drop the vehicle off and pick it up when finished? I'm trying to weigh the total cost as to which option I end up choosing.

You can actually do it either way, it mostly depends on the shop that you take it to. I used to work at a machine shop that would do the R&R work or just rebuild whatever you brought in. Dropping the vehicle off is alot easier for sure but it will cost you alot more due to the labor. If you are on a budget and have the skill and tools to pull the engine yourself, that is your best bet in the long run.

reman

Check with ATK engines. I bought one last two years ago it's great. 3 yr unlimited miles. Shipped right to your driveway. Around $$1575 core 350

http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com..._catid=131&sid=1AlF2z0WY7kK9lM-39102071442.2e

that is where I got mine from. It has over 18k on it now. Great price, 7/70 warrenty. My father in-laws shop put it in for me. So they filled out the warrenty stuff and sold my old one for 150, they don't take back the core, well at least from PA they don't, they might if you close to the area. Shipping was 175. I picked it up at the truck termanal to save my back at the shop. No lift gate or loading dock. Juice

Back