• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$%%#$%# broke a plastic piece... Help

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I was doing some maintenance stuff and amongst other things I wanted to clean that gromet and plastic elbow out that was leaking in the back of the valve cover... well guess what.... it broke :( Does anyone know if any particular chain (AutoZone, PepBoys, Kragen carry something like it?

Kejtar said:
OK, I was doing some maintenance stuff and amongst other things I wanted to clean that gromet and plastic elbow out that was leaking in the back of the valve cover... well guess what.... it broke :( Does anyone know if any particular chain (AutoZone, PepBoys, Kragen carry something like it?

hey stranger- long time no see. :wave:

rear crankcase vent hose with grommet?
NAPA#715-1365
1987-90 4.0

they also carry the elusive front/rear vac harness thats under warrenty/or unavailable from mopar-
715-1367front
715-1366 rear

laterz.
Ed

I'm not going to be much help here but someone told me once that that part is also used on the Ford 4.0 motors. So you might be able to track something down with that very LITTLE bit of info. Sorry I wish I could remember more.

Hopefully none of the broken peices got down in the hole. :(

JohnJohn

Don't feel bad. I was cleaning the valve cover this weekend and the gromet for the front hose broke off while I was trying to remove the hose from the cover. In addition, I thought I would clean up the vaccum hasness of all the oil that was covering it. You guessed it, I broke two of the plastic hoses.

I found that a piece of 1/8" (inner dia.) sprinkler system tubing serves well to splice a break in the smallest diameter tubes, like the rear vent hose.

As the rear vent hose comes with the grommet, does the front hose also comes with the grommet?

Ed, is that front/rear vac harness the one that clips together, and that the air hose from the intake to the valve cover runs through (for 88 4.0)?

Kejtar said:

Kragen carries the CCV tube with gromet for $9.99.

Kenny

8700XJS said:
Kragen carries the CCV tube with gromet for $9.99.

Kenny
Well, I went to Kragen and came back home with something generic with a gromet that was a hair too small.... in any case, I made arrangements to have another set of wheels available to me tomorrow so I will probably pickup something at either NAPA or the dealer by my work.

Does anyone know what it's called a valve? It is a straight elbow from what I can see. Also why is the diameter of the hole limited to be so small??

Hi Kejtar.

The CCV tube dosen't have a normal PCV valve connected to it like most engines do. It is small so as to meter the gas/fumes flow into the intake. It's actually a controlled vacuum leak; large enough to do the job, but still small enough so that it dosen't cause drivability or idle problems.

You can replace the CCV tube with another type hose if necessary, as long as you have a restriction somewhere along the run that is the same inside diameter as the original tubing. When the weather warms up some, I'm going to experiment with some metal tubing, to see if I can come up with something more substantial than the plastic stuff.
:wave1:

Kejtar said:
..... I will probably pickup something at either NAPA or the dealer by my work.

Does anyone know what it's called a valve? It is a straight elbow from what I can see. Also why is the diameter of the hole limited to be so small??

If you go to NAPA, try using the part numbers that Ed provided. I stopped by my local NAPA store this evening and ordered both the front and rear harness assemblies. It took the guy a few minutes to find what I was asking for, but he did. They appear to come will all the hoses and grommets to include the front CCV assembly, which is what I need. I think the NAPA store listed the rear vent hose and grommet at $7.99.

OK, so I got it all finally sorted out :D I paid maybe a wee bit more then NAPA as I went to the stealership... but it all came out to $10 so it wasn't that bad. I'm actually thinking about buying another one of those just in case....

Back