• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring bolt stuck HELP!!

XJ92jeep

NAXJA Forum User
The forward bolt's nut has broken loose inside the frame. I cut a square out of the bottom of the bracket to get a wrench on it now the nut is stripped out. What should I do now??

TIA,
Dave

I feel your pain. I broke the tack-welded nuts off both sides. I fixed one side exactly like you were doing; cut hole in bracket and stick wrench up through it. The other side took a little more creativity. I used an angle grinder and cut out the eyelet of the leaf spring. I had to take it out in three pieces and cutting through spring steel is a mother, but it did come out. I stuck a screwdriver in the hole and wedged the bolt/nut against the side of the bracket. Next the angle grinder was used to grind down as much of the protruding bolt as possible without grinding the bracket. Then I was able to flip the bolt/nut around so that the other end was sticking out of the bracket. Once again the grinder was used to cut it down as much as possible. With both sides of the bolt ground down close to flush with the nut I had a little room to work with. I used the screwdriver to wedge the remains of the nut into the bottom corner of the pocket. That gave me enough room to run a new bolt through and insert a new nut through the bottom hole. I never have been able to get that nut out of the pocket, but it’s jammed in there tight enough that it doesn’t rattle. I’m not saying that this is the right way to do it; just that this was how I did it. I hope that you are taking off the OEM springs and replacing them with some after market ones. Other wise you might not be too happy about cutting up your hi dollar springs.

Back