• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interesting IP Question for the experts.

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
This is Silvano typing, Beezil's computer bitch....

question for the experts:

I'm looking for a computer to select it's own IP address, but would like to pre-assign the gateway, and subnet mask.
Is this even possible?
What I have is a windows XP peer to peer network and 18 of the computers get their own address with no problem, but one of them just won't, and there is no hardware problem.

If I manually assign the address the system works, however in a mixed system, I sumtimes get conflicting IP's.

Thanks in advance for any help.

why don't you have your dhcp only assign a range of addresses and leave yourself couple for the maunal dishouts? This should allow you to avoid the conflicts.

Btw, is that computer like any other computer or is it different... what is different? did you try a different network card? different port on the hub/switch?

Kejtar

Just got off the phone with Beez & Silvano......

Turns out that it sounds like it's not a DHCP problem. Silvano changed the Windows Locator service in the Client for M$ Network properties to DCE Cell Locator Service, and filled in one of the other machines IP address. Note this is under WinXP.

Apparently, all is well with the metal benders now.

ChiXJeff

Back