• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternaters

churky89

NAXJA Forum User
I know that alternaters are rated for differen apps,right now I have a stock one on my XJ.I was wondering if there would be a problem with going to one with a little higher rating.
Everything on mine is stock.Just curious

If you can find a bolt-on alternator with higher amp rating, this is good. Just don't go lower than the original one. You will gain little with a higher amp unit, unless you are planning to run accessories that demand more juice. Won't make your OEM electrics work any better, though.

I just replaced my alternator last fall <'90 XJ Laredo> with a Napa rebuilt. I found there were 3 used in that year and the Napa store I went to had all three. I took my old one in to match it up. As I recall, the outputs were rated at 65A, 85A and 100A. All 3 looked pretty much the same. I remember one of the gates was if the XJ had AC, I don't remember the rest.

Your '89 probably had the three same choices that year too.

The 100A alternator cost $1.15 more than the 85A. Guess which one I bought? I paid $102, after handing over my core.
MoFo

Back