• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

early non disconnect D30?

kelly klassen

NAXJA Forum User
I was under the impression that all earlier (xj) D30s were the disconnect variety. Or does this only apply to 207/231s. I found an 88 with a 242 and no axle disconnect. Could it have been swapped? Did they change to 297s at the same time as they got rid of the disconnect?
And now for something completely different...can you swap a later model front grill/lights in place of the old 4 headlight setup? Not that I care about looks, I just want to be able to use my bosch H4 conversions!
Thanks,
-kelly

any of the XJs with full time 4x4 did NOT have disconnect axles. (some 84s with the 228 might have had it, not certain though)

they switched all XJs over to 297s in 97 or 96, and all the abs ones from 92 up got 297s.

and yes you can swap the frontends ;)

Cherokee Grille in Wagoneer - Sure!

Yes you can swap the header panel from a Cherokee in a 4 light Wagoneer - the used car guys do it because there are many more Cherokee headers than Wagoneers and parts are everywhere.

"just don't try to mix and match bearing hubs or brake parts... you might be in for a hard time there"

As long as the rotor is of the same vintage as the hub, you are OK. I have an 89 Disco 30 in my MJ, with a LS hub/rotor/297 axleshaft assy from a 97 but still using a 89 caliper... No problems whatsoever.

The thin dust-shield between the hub and the knuckle might be important for clearance too (dunno-I kept mine, even though it is mostly hammered)

Also agree that unless one was swapped in for some reason, any 242 Jeep should have come with a non-disco axle.

I've got an 87 with 242, and it's non-disco HP. I agree with the "All 242's are non-disco" statement

My 91' Briarwood 4.0l HO/ AW-4/ np242 had ABS with 297's and a single pass shaft (non-disco) - go figure...

Matt

Woody, speak to me. I too just purchased a set of axles from an '86. The shafts were CV type. Does that make any difference? Can I use the '86 unit bearing, '89 caliper and '86 rotor? I was told I need to swap the steering knuckle to use the '89 unit bearing. What's the whole story?

Back