• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know how to tighten seat?

Matthew K

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
The passenger seat of my 95 XJ Sport is driving me crazy. It will vibrate as I'm driving (with no one in the seat). I can push and pull the seat side to side (parallel to the dashboard) and the back rest will deflect about a 1/4 inch each way. I've tried tightening the torx bolts on either side and they are already tight. But the play in the seat remains, no matter what angle the seat is set at. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Matt

is it a power seat or a fixed mount?
Power seats have a bracket that breaks loose, a simple weld works to fix that problem. Though I'm sure the bracket bolted to the floor is fine but check that out. My pass seat does the samething. Power seats on a 88, putting in fixed mounts this weekend. Juice

Probably your seat brackets are worn. Just be happy if they're not broken. You can buy a replacement frame for only $800 at Jeep. I have seen used ones on Ebay occassionally but you really don't know their condition. I had the frame welded on my 93 but it didn't last.

I have this problem on my 89. The tracks for the manual tilt adjustment are worn enough to allow free play. I have not figured out how I'm going to fix this yet. I plan to take the seat off and see if crimping the tracks a little will remove the free play.

Thanks guys. I should've specified. I have the Sport manual seats with the basic back rest (headrest is part of the seat/non adjustable). I think crimping the tracks somehow will be a good option. The mounts on the floor are tight. The seat only wobbles back and forth from the joint of where the horizontal cushion and the vertical cushion meet. The entire seat doesn't move back and forth. Thanks.
Matt

Back