• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slow cranking in cold weather!

Chux01Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all!!! I have what might be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Here in the northeast we have been having a tough winter with plenty of nights that the temp has dipped into the single digits and lower. My question is--my 01 Sport cranks so slow on these days that I think it might not start--but on the second turn it kicks over. I checked the battery and it is fully charged. In addition I should mention that this doesnt happen the rest of the day.Only after sitting overnight in the cold. I have a theory ---should I switch to a lighter weight oil?? I have added slick 50 and it seems to have helped a little. I was told that on these cold days that it could just be the viscosity of the oil getting thicker, but it sure doesnt sound like that in the morning. I'm afraid that it will kill the battery one of these times. Any input would be appreciated.---Thanks

Chuck

Change the oil and get that Slick50 out of there! That stuff is like Kayro syrup and does not flow well in these temps. I used to add it in the summer, never in the winter, but I am not sure it is needed then. Just run a good Pensylvania grade of 10W30 in the winter. I like Valvolene and Penzoil. Never had a problem with my '90 or '00 XJs.

Here in the Great White North, I find it advantageous to use synthetic oil, as it doesn't get thick in the extreme cold. At least you should switch to a 5w-30 oil, whick is more suitable for these cold temps. You could also use a block heater for those really cold noghts.

Try some dry gas... water condesation in tank, or injector cleaner... We HAVE TO RUN dry gas up here because it will get around -35 real temperature, sometimes dip to -40s. I have had no problems starting my 88. To be dead honest I would "wake" up slow too if it was that damn cold out. Give your motor a break, its starting, probably just not as fast as it does when it's 90 out. Try 5w-30 synthetic blend.

Im in college in Pennsylvania and mine sits for the week before running and it cranks slow too but battery is good and she always starts. Its just too damn cold!!!

Thanks for the help

Thanks everyone for the input--next oil change I will switch to a lighter viscosity----for at least until the weather warms up--who knows when that will be---I dont want to hear anymore about how SUV's cause global warming!!!

I live in eastern Mass and switching from castrol 10W30 with some Lucas oil in it, to Mobil 1 10W30 made a huge difference. I also switched to an optima Red Top.

This is a little late, but look at your battery. More specifically, look at your "cold cranking amps" of your battery. Batteries with a low number will crank your engine over slower than those with a higher number. I use a 800 CCA battery on my XJ and tempuratures regularly dip below -20 celcius and she starts fine.

Oh man, get rid of the slick50 snake oil, flush the motor out, get a priest to sprinkle holy water on it or something, that stuff is NASTY. Change the oil to Mobil-1 10W30. If you have some extra bucks then you might want to consider replacing the battery. I put a red top in my 98 back in Nov or so, put two new red tops in today in the 97TJ's we just bought, they BOTH had the original batterys in them and had been turning over a mite slow.
For those of you who have a difference of Opinion on Slick50 with it's teflon I defer to the Dupont web site which states catagorically that Teflon is not for use in ANY internal combustion engine under any conditons and that pretty much covers it. I guess they got tired of either being sued or being on the list of whoever is getting sued...

To all of you who recommended that Chuck change to 10W30, please note that he ahs a 2001 XJ. The recommended viscosity is 5W30, year 'round. Check the Owner's manual.

Chuck, not only is it true that very cold weather makes the oil thicker and more resistent to turning over the engine, the same cold temperatures also reduce the effective output of the battery significantly. I don't mean it "kills" or harms the battery, just that even a healthy battery puts out less voltage at -20 than it does at +80.

It doesn't sound like you have reason to be concerned, but I would strongly agree that you should get the Slik 50 out of your engine. Avoid that stuff like the plague it is.

yea yea yea, 5W but those kind of numbers get me nervous -0W- is even worse...for some reason water comes to mind :D

RichP said:
yea yea yea, 5W but those kind of numbers get me nervous -0W- is even worse...for some reason water comes to mind :D

Leave a quart of 5W30 outdoors overnight on a 15-degree or 20-degree night, then open it first thing in the morning (before the sun hits it) and see how fast it pours.

Not! :shocked:

If it's any of my oil it pours quick, the only oil here is Mobil-1 :D well, I do have a case of Mobil 10w30 but that was for the YJ and theres only 6 quarts left, once the YJ is gone the remaining organic goes with it. You can feel the difference on startup's with the synthetic. I'm still not sure if the two TJ's are going to get the mobil-1 treatment, both have around 100K on them. I may try a 50/50 mix to start and see what if anything leaks, seeps or drips....

I think the TJs will be okay. I switched the '88 MJ over to synth with about 110,000 on the odometer, but the odo wasn't working when I bought it so I have no idea how many uncounted miles the previous owner racked up.

I'm using Castrol 5W50, though. Best of both worlds -- thinner for quick circulation on cold starts, but plenty of viscosity for long trips and/or heavy loads. I ran Mobil-1 15W50 in the XJ for awhile, alternating with 10W30 for winter, but it seemed like the weather always changed on me right after I changed the oil and I was always using the wrong weight. The 5W50 stays in year 'round.

What year did they start reccommending 5W-30. Mine is a 97 and it still reccomends 10W-30. Will I encounter any kind of problems switching over to 5W-50 now and is this synthetic or regular 5W-50???

I don't think the oil has much to do with the slower start... Maybe if it's -20 or something I'd give that some consideration but for those of us who don't live in Minot, North Dakota or the south pole a slow start means a cold battery or an old tired battery. The colder it gets the less you get power you get out of a lead-acid battery. Mine gets kinda weak on cold days too. Doesn't have a thing to do with my oil. Don't believe me? Try this experiment instead of the oil one. Remove your battery and keep it nice and warm in your house. Install nice warm battery in the morning with your cold oil and see what happens...

Really could be a combo of both if the CCA on the battery is low, and the weight of the oil.

light weight oil, especially synthetic will make a big difference over 10weight non synthetic.

Would not worry about running too light of a weight, unless it's a hot summer day, and you are putting a heavy load on the engine.

I run 5w synthetic in my 383 471HP Firebird, and beleive me I put some heavy loads on it.

Mercenary said:
This is a little late, but look at your battery. More specifically, look at your "cold cranking amps" of your battery. Batteries with a low number will crank your engine over slower than those with a higher number. I use a 800 CCA battery on my XJ and tempuratures regularly dip below -20 celcius and she starts fine.

I agree with Mercenary. First off diagnose the problem. The only true test for a battery is a load test. I realize that your jeep is not that old but battaries can be deffective. When you load test a battery you are testing it's reserve capacity. If you have the battery load tested it should not test below 9 volts if it does replace the battery. Some times a battery work fine all day long but let it sit for 8 to 12 hours in the cold and it will not perform. I live in Minnesota and I run 10w30 all year round just like the factory suggests ( not that the factory is always right ) but even at temps of -20 to -30 F the engine pops right off. If you do replace the battery I highly recommend an optima or excide spiral cell battaries. I switched to the excide orbital battery and wow what a difference. Remember that a inferior batery makes your alternator work harder which means quicker burn out. Check the price of a rebuilt alternator for your XJ. Good battery money well spent. Good luck on your problem.

Joe

SOOLONG said:
I live in Minnesota and I run 10w30 all year round just like the factory suggests ( not that the factory is always right ) but even at temps of -20 to -30 F the engine pops right off.

But is this in a garage, or outside. This can be a 20 degree difference.

Back