• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle questions

oldmopars

NAXJA Forum User
I searched on this and returned some help, but not all I was looking for.
I just bought a 89 XJ(will post pictures soon). It was hit in the front left and did damage to the stock front axle. The guy I am working for has a XJ in the bone yard that I got a replacement from. The problem is that I do not know what year the "other" XJ is and I do not know what U-joints this axle has. The XJ could be anything from a 92-96 based on whats left. I think it has the Mopar 8.25 rear. All the engine and door decals were removed. Can I decode the vin and find out? I need to know if its 260s,270s or 297s. It did not have ABS, but could be a 96. The joints/axles do not look like the ones from the 89.
The XJ I bought might have the Dana 44, but I need to have a way to possitively ID it as a D44.

Scott
87 MJ 2.5L 4x4
89 XJ Larado 4x4 4.0L

Yes you can decode the VIN to find out the exact year. I am away from home but will get back with you tomorrow on how to do that if someone else has not already. Also if you find out how to identify if an axle is a dana 44 or not please let me know.

the dana44 axle should have a hexagonal shape while the dana35 will be an oval.

heres some pictures of what the differential should look like

Çrestfa||en said:
the dana44 axle should have a hexagonal shape while the dana35 will be an oval.

heres some pictures of what the differential should look like

You should also be able to find a "44" or something of that sort cast into the webbing on the diff. Might have to scrape gunk off to find it if the axle is really dirty.

Back