• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought my first xj and have some questions for the veterans here

bonestk90

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 90 xj this monday, it is the most pristine used car i have ever bought. It has all options except for leather and a new paint job. I do have some bugs that I want to fix thought. the turn signal does not cancel on its own for the left turn signal, the headliner sags above the head of both driver and passenger, and the rear driver side window does not roll down. I see the volt meter drop when I try to roll it up but it doesn't drop when I try to roll it down. both the blue and yellow wire have 12 volts but it won't go down. Maybe I could get some advice for fixing these little problems from the veterans of the site. Thanks in advance! Chad Patten

bonestk90 said:
I bought a 90 xj this monday, it is the most pristine used car i have ever bought. It has all options except for leather and a new paint job. I do have some bugs that I want to fix thought. the turn signal does not cancel on its own for the left turn signal, the headliner sags above the head of both driver and passenger, and the rear driver side window does not roll down. I see the volt meter drop when I try to roll it up but it doesn't drop when I try to roll it down. both the blue and yellow wire have 12 volts but it won't go down. Maybe I could get some advice for fixing these little problems from the veterans of the site. Thanks in advance! Chad Patten

Steering column is a standard GM/Saginaw unit. The turn signal cam is nylon or some type of plastic, and they get brittle with age and crack. You can buy replacements at any of the auto parts chains from the HELP! product aisle. You'll need a steering wheel puller to get at it, but I believe the turn signal cam is above the lock plate, so you shouldn't need the lock plate removal tool.

Headliner sag is common in older vehicles, not just Jeeps. The fabric has a rubber backing, which dries out and powders. Simple fix is again in the HELP! aisle -- round plastic screw-in "augers" that you can use to hold up the existing headlines. However, that's not a restoration grade fix, that's an expedient fix. The better way is to remove the headliner, pull off the old fabric and brush off all the old foam from the headliner with a stiff brush, then attach new fabric with spray adhesive. JoAnn Fabrics stores carry heavy weight headliner fabric with the foam backing. You can also buy kits with fabric and adhesive at Pep Boys, but the fabric at JoAnn is about twice as thick and obviously better quality.

The power window problem is likely a combination of dried out lubrication in the track, and corrosion in the wiring connections reducing the voltage to the motor. You'll need to remove the trim panel to get at everything, and just clean all you can and lube the mechanism.

Has anyone ever taken out the headliner from an xj before? I was thinkin of just getting the trim panels off and shooting some spray glue into the gaps where it has fallen and then sticking it back up. But as for the cancelation cam for the column i am on my way to get it now! thanks!

I've done the headliner removal job.

Takes about all day to do it right. Just be careful when pulling it down and putting it back in. I also have a pickup truck that served quite nicely for the cleaning and reapplying job. Just throw the liner in the back.

bonestk90 said:
Has anyone ever taken out the headliner from an xj before? I was thinkin of just getting the trim panels off and shooting some spray glue into the gaps where it has fallen and then sticking it back up. But as for the cancelation cam for the column i am on my way to get it now! thanks!

the headliner fix may not be that easy.......if it is like most, the backing board is a fiber type board and after the glue has dried out, usually the fiber board will actually start to seperate then the newly glued portion will pull another layer off .......so the best bet is to actually remove the headliner and paint it heavily (and i do mean let the paint soak into the different layers) i have good luck with laquer primer but i would say enamel or latex would work out............then let it dry all the way.....now the layers are bonded together good and you have a great "bonding" surface.........so get some new material and glue it on.......don`t try to use the old...........if that is too much trouble try and upolstery shop.....one did a liner for my buddys s-10 and charge $125.00 even did the visors............and there is always the old tried and true "thumbtack method" just get them even.........

Turn signal cam

Not sure bout the 90' but on my 89' the locking plate HAS to be removed to acess the turn signal cam.
While I'm on the subject,does anybody know what size the clip for the locking plate is...just curiuos

For the headliner I found the easiest is from a newer XJ up to a 96. I found one with the sound bar for 35.00 in great condition. If you get the sound bar just remember to get 2 studs on the donor XJ where the sound bar was mounted. They are just a little bit longer than the ones that hold up the hatch area light.

My son and I did ours in about 2 hours with running new speaker wires. The fit was perfect and even the seat belt cutouts were in the same location for the rear. the biggest thing it looks much nicer than the old saggy one.

For the turn signal fix here are some websites that may help you.

http://garage-scene.home.att.net/t5_install_steering_column.htm
http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

churky89 said:
Not sure bout the 90' but on my 89' the locking plate HAS to be removed to acess the turn signal cam.
You're right!!! Lock plate has to be removed to repair the turn signal mechanism.

ive got a good solution for headliner sag.....get a few pieces of high-tensil (sp) fence wire, cut it to the length that allows you to stick it between the platic pieces on each side of the roof (drivers and passengers side), so it is wedged up against the roof. this will hold it up out of your hair and might actually look somewhat factory. lol. but yeah, it worked for me in a couple of my past vehicles. and its CHEEEEEP.

(please dont "find" wire from an actual fence, as the farmer (me) will be awfully pissed)

bonestk90,

the sound bar is a speaker mount that places the rear speakers up on the headliner just forward of the hatch, as opposed to the earlier rear hatch mounted speakers. Our my wife's 96 has one, and I think it takes 5" speakers. I always thought it was a seperate piece from the headliner.

If you are hauling cargo, it can keep the speakers from getting muffled. Though sometimes it gets in the way of carrying tall objects.

Copperhead

1987 Laredo 4.0, 278,000km
1996 Sport 4.0, 2wd, 157,000mi

There are options when replacing the headliner. You can get replacement material much like the original stuff or oyu can get creative and use something else. In my old IH ScoutII, I used birch panellin stained cherry, and coated with high-gloss urethane. You could use an oriental rug, native american blankets, etc. Be a good time do to something unique.

Back