• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Radiator?

Atom

NAXJA Forum User
I broke my OME radiator and bought the cheap $99.99 aftermarket one, BAD IDEA! The piece of Junk broke 1 month after installing it. So I have epoxyed the plastic end caps several times and have got it to last 2 years. Last week I found a two foot round puddle under it and thats the last straw!
Which is best?
1. $150 2 core mopar OME replacement (plastic end caps)
2. $250 3 core high volume mopar factory upgrade (never factory installed but can replace stock) Plastic end caps.
3. $150 2 core, high flow, BRASS end capped- from a radiator shop in town that makes them.

Oh yeah- Its a 1996 4.0 Auto with AC and I want to be able to do Moab in the middle of summer!

Atom said:
I broke my OME radiator and bought the cheap $99.99 aftermarket one, BAD IDEA! The piece of Junk broke 1 month after installing it. So I have epoxyed the plastic end caps several times and have got it to last 2 years. Last week I found a two foot round puddle under it and thats the last straw!
Which is best?
2. $250 3 core high volume mopar factory upgrade (never factory installed but can replace stock) Plastic end caps.
3. $150 2 core, high flow, BRASS end capped- from a radiator shop in town that makes them.

Oh yeah- Its a 1996 4.0 Auto with AC and I want to be able to do Moab in the middle of summer!

last one I bought was from autozone- HD, $120.00 3 core auto. Had over 200,000 on it when she sold...still holdin water.

Atom said:
Which is best?

I do NOT trust plastic radiator tanks.

My vote is for none of the 3!. I installed a GDI 3 core unit 2 years ago in my '90 XJ. I used the one for a '91. It has a cap on the radiator so I could get rid of that damn plastic pressure bottle. The GDI was always a good unit, but I have been reading some issues with their quality here as of late. Do a search. I don't remember the brand folks like the most now. Either way, you can beat the price, quality and efficiency of the factory or localy-built units.
MoFo

I recently installed a Modine 2 row and I am very pleased with it. Great quality, very efficient, it dropped right in, and no plastic. :D

Atom said:
Which is best?

Those are really good prices for Mopar OEM radiators ...

I'd be interested to see the PN for that "high volume Mopar factory upgrade"---if you get a chance post it.

Mopar PN 52028133 is the OEM 2-core radiator for later model XJ's with the HD cooling package---and it has plastic tanks with a 16lb. cap.

As far as the plastic tanks are concerned ... they're fairly beefy ... and I have no data to support inferior quality or performance as compared to a brass tank radiator---since I just bought one I'm sure time will tell.

Plastic doesn't corrode so maybe it has some advantages in the long run.

Good luck whatever you decide.

radiator

I got a GDI 3 core for the open system from the local Auto Zone for $140 n some change..NO PLASTIC TANKS,I took the thing outta the box right in the store n checked to make sure.

what rad. to get

I installed a GDI 3 core for $106 inc. delivery to front door. 1-800 Radiators. First one started leaking maybe 6 mo. after I got it from neck weld, I called them and NEXT day new one at door. I've had it in approx. 1.5 yrs and no probs. Lifetime guarantee. Runs LOTS cooler on highway but same at idle. Heinz

OEM 4 me

I know this will differ from many others, but i prefer, and continue to prefer the Up Country OEM radiator. My '98 with factory A/C came originally equipped with a single core aluminum radiator. No cooling problems whatsoever here in Va. However, seeing as how was going to head out west to the Utah deserts for a period of time thought an upgrade would be wise. Installed a cheapo GDI. 6 months later small green puddles..... Is a case you get what you pay for. Did some research and got a twin core UC alum/plastic radiator from Chrysler. Is a very nice looking piece. To give you an idea how well it did, did not even use the elec fan when temps were 110 in traffic most times (i installed a manual off switch on that fan circuit)!! Could even use the A/C without that fan usually with engine cooling temps hardly ever over 210. Had to be a real hard, slow speed climb when crawling on trails before would need the aux fan.....then a 5 min shot and back down.

I know it cost a few $$, but worked and continues to work great. -Just another viewpoint.

Judd W. VA said:
>>>>Did some research and got a twin core UC alum/plastic radiator from Chrysler. Is a very nice looking piece. <<<<

Judd .. may I ask the PN for that UC alum/plastic OEM radiator ?

I'd be interested to see if it's the same as I purchased and installed a few weeks back.

IMO the OEM HD 2-core radiator manufacturing quality appeared to be far above the 2-core Modine I looked at--that's why I decided to go with Mopar.

The downside is Mopar is priced at $312.00.

This is from the Radiator Barn at www.radiatorbarn.com I got mine from here and it works great. I live in the desert and have an 87 4L with AC.

3 ROW, HEAVY DUTY ALL METAL REPLACEMENT

Specifications
Core Size: 31 X 10-5/16 X 1-13/16
Inlet Header: 10-5/16 X 2-1/2
Outlet Header: 10-5/16 X 2-1/2
Inlet Connection: 1-1/4 PASSENGERS SIDE
Outlet Connection: 1-1/2 DRIVERS SIDE
Transmission Oil Cooler: 7-1/2
Engine Oil Cooler: NONE
Mounting: TOP CRADLE/BOTTOME PIN
Notes: THREE ROW, ALL METAL

$161.20 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE Radiator
$0.00 FREE Shipping in the Continental United States
$0.00 FREE Lifetime Warranty
-$5.00 Discount for Completing Your Order Online

$156.20 IS YOUR FINAL COST

Kenny
(No I don't work for the company)

I bought a Mexican made GDI 3 row radiator from radiator.com almost two years ago and haven't had a problem. All metal. I think my price was $130 or so, but if you decide to buy from these guys be aware that they sell the same radiators on Ebay for less. Um, and they wouldn't refund me the difference after I discovered this. Oh well.

Erik
88 Comanche

I installed my GDI about 3 years ago. I have had no leaks or quality issues with it, but it still red-lines in the summer if I'm towing and running the A/C during stop and go driving. The temp rise is delayed over the stock radiator due to it's larger capacity but unless there's forward motion it will eventually overheat.

bchulett said:
Those are really good prices for Mopar OEM radiators ...

I'd be interested to see the PN for that "high volume Mopar factory upgrade"---if you get a chance post it.

Mopar PN 52028133 is the OEM 2-core radiator for later model XJ's with the HD cooling package---and it has plastic tanks with a 16lb. cap.

As far as the plastic tanks are concerned ... they're fairly beefy ... and I have no data to support inferior quality or performance as compared to a brass tank radiator---since I just bought one I'm sure time will tell.

Plastic doesn't corrode so maybe it has some advantages in the long run.

Good luck whatever you decide.
I have data to support inferior quality of plastic tanks. I have a Modine radiator on my 92 T-bird that has sucked since I put it on new! It started leaking about 6 months after I put it on from around the plastic tanks. I took it off and took it to a local radiator shop and he re-crimped the aluminum "fingers" that hold the plastic tank on. He told me that style was bad about that and that in the winter it would probably leak more due to contracting from the cold weather and leak less in the summer due to expansion. Well, I didn't believe him until the 3rd time I took it out and had it worked on. It's even had new gaskets put in it and it can't be re-crimped anymore since it's been done 3 times already so now I just put up with it leaking. I would suggest going with an all brass radiator. I'm not saying all plastic ones are like this, just the one I got from Modine, but it's been a big enough pain in the *ss that I won't buy another one!
Mike Harris

I along with a lot of my friends have had great luck with Modine, but I agree that plastic on radiators is not good. My girlfriend's Blazer only has 95K on it and the plastic part of the radiator split and developed a severe leak. I had to replace it, there's no way to fix that right. The rest of the radiator was in great shape. I really don't understand why they are putting plastic in radiators now. :confused:

Sorry about your bad experience ...

Since is appears Modine, and probably other company's, have already spent the capital investment to develop, engineer and implement the manufacturing requirements for plastic/aluminum radiators ... one would think they would have spent the time performing the necessary enviromental chamber testing required for such a product.

There must be some motive to change processes ...

- Competition
- Quality improvement
- Regulatory compliance
- Operating expense reduction
- Gross margins

I hope mine doesn't spring a leak ...

My GDI 3-row has been on for 1 1/2 years now, with no problems. Cools great. I understand that GDI had a bad batch of these radiators, but the most recent manufactured ones were OK. I guess I got a good one......

Get the 2 rows. The 3 rows suck. I had one go belly up in three years. Theres is no advantage in getting 3 rows. All they do is make the tubes smaller to get three rows in the rad. It's the same width as a two row so your not gaining anything. The smaller three rows clog easier and don't flow as much fluid as the two rows.

Modine 2 row can be had ay any Napa for 130-145.

Back