• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic converter options?

SimpleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just found out from the dealer that my computer is throwing codes and jeep is losing power because of a clogged cat. This is on a '96 so there is an O2 sensor in the cat. They want $500+ installed. Are there any aftermarket options out there for less?

BTW, if I chop the cat off, and put a piece of pipe there for the time being so I can drive it, will it screw the computer again because the second O2 sensor won't be working?

Thanks all

SimpleXJ

SimpleXJ said:
Just found out from the dealer that my computer is throwing codes and jeep is losing power because of a clogged cat. This is on a '96 so there is an O2 sensor in the cat. They want $500+ installed. Are there any aftermarket options out there for less?

BTW, if I chop the cat off, and put a piece of pipe there for the time being so I can drive it, will it screw the computer again because the second O2 sensor won't be working?

Thanks all

SimpleXJ

My 95' xj needed a new cat to pass smog here in Cali, but is was only $120 installed because it was an OBD1. I thought 94' was the last year, but I got lucky. The 96 and up thought I'm almost certainly are OBD2 and thus you will need a stock cat which will mean a higher cost, like 3X the cost of the aftermarket or more. Shop around though to find a good price, but it's not cheap unfortunately.

I'm not certain on this, but I believe you can use a non-factory cat and weld a bung into the outlet pipe to accept the second O2 sensor.

I had a clogged cat in my 96 and had a local muffler shop install a high flow one for 200ish. It did have a bung for the O2 sensor as well.

Cool, thanks for the help guys. Found out my local carquest carries direct fit cats, so I'll have one today. Will let you know if it fixes my problem.

Thanks again

SimpleXJ

Sorry to jack the thread, but how can you tell if a cat is getting plugged? My computer isn't logging any codes, but my Jeep has been losing power since the summer. I've replaced most everything that I can think of except for the cat and O2 sensors. I thought you were supposed to get a code if those went bad? My jeep just feels sluggish most of the time, but every once in a while it will wake up and run just fine.

Most cats not OBD II certified

Got to be careful of what you get to put on there. Has been a while now, but i think Carsound (?), who's website will verify, has certified OBD II aftermarket cats for your XJ. They were well below $200 as i recall.

The after-cat O2 sensor should notify you if there is a prob with the cat. Does not take much to make that one sense a problem. When 4 wheeling out west this past summer and descending down a long mountain, engine braking, the ck engine lt would come on sometimes. I am sure it was sensing a poorly functioning cat. Figures.

Good luck.

I had the cat on my 94 replaced last summer. I was not experiencing any error codes or performance loss, but I had this strange rattle that would go away as the Jeep warmed up. After replacing a couple busted exhaust clamps I tracked it down to the converter. The guy at the shop said the ceramic catalyst inside was probably partially broken and rattling around until the metal got hot and swelled to stop the noise. I caught it before it started to disintegrate and cause bigger problems, but like I said, except for the noise no other obvious signs.

Back