• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker 6" Rock-Ready

kevinmerritt

NAXJA Forum User
I was wanting to know if anybody has put this lift on their XJ?

If so, how hard was the install, and what are the on-road characteristics
of the kit. My 1991 XJ will be a daily driver with weekend off-roading duties.
I also want to put 35's on it, with of course some fender mods and the like

Thanks for any help, and God Bless!!!

Kevin Merritt

I've got the 8" RR kit. There a much cheaper ways get 6" of lift.
The things I don't like about the RR kits. The sway bar discos suck, the heims wear out quickly (even the new telfon ones) and transfer a lot of road noise. I also had 2 set of rear leaves warranteed due to sagging problems. After receiving the 2nd set, I sold them and bought some Alcans. The axle cradle on the 8" kit is weak, it's better to go without it as the 6" inch kit has.
Things I do like, the subframe and 'mid' length control arms.

One last note on the new RR kits, the trans mount crossbar has been redesigned to allow much more clearance for front driveline droop during flex and exhaust pipe clearance.

JeepZZ,

Do you think then that the Rubicon Express 5.5" extreme duty kit would be a better bang for the buck. Money is not that big of an issue so I dont really mind spending more for the Skyjacker. I just figure it would be in my best interest to ask around and see from people with experience on this lift what it was really like.

Thanks for the reply and let me know if there is anything more that you would like to add to this subject.

Thanks and God Bless!!!

Kevin

As with any lift kit the RR kit has its pluses & minuses. A lot of guys on this board favor the long arm kits which has its own set of quirks but many are outweighed by what you gain with them. Again this goes both ways, many dislike them.

IMO the best bang for the buck is the RE 5.5. I friend of mine just built up his 2001 with this kit and 2 inch blocks and coils spacers to fit 35's. The blocks and spacers don't void the kits warranty, in fact they were purchased from RE at the same time also. Ideally blocks and spacers aren't the way lift to 7.5+ inches but my friend wanted back for the buck. He used the left over money he saved for Bushwackers, ARB bumper & 35" tires.

xjjoe6.jpg

If I had to do it again, I'd buy the RR kit's separate pieces which are now offered through Jeep Speed. The sub-frame, arms, coils and trac bar are all top notch pieces, everything else I'd replace. In fact, I all ready have. Heims on one end of the control arms are fine but I think a bushing at the other end makes more sense. The trac bar comes the way, why not the arms? Tera now makes a direct bushing replacement for the SJ heims. I got the first set from Tera's warehouse. They didn't even have a part # assigned to them yet.
The rear springs are the next to go. I see now SJ has a better miltary wrapped design like Alcan, but it's currently only available for the YJ. I bet within the next several months the XJ kit will get it too.

Good luck with your decision & get as many opinions as you can. I didn't, and my depleted bank account proves it. :D
-Todd

Nobody answered you about on-road manners. I love the on-road ride of my 6" RR. I've had to have one of the
LCA heims replaced right out of the box.
otherwise I've yet to encounter any major problems. I've had it on since Feb, 2002 and do mid range wheeling with it.

The on-road manners are great. At highway speeds, it is very stable and smooth. I do agree that it would be better to buy in pieces. Some parts that have been discussed aren't worth it, but the subframe is a must. It flexes awesome!

gmanxj

Hey thanks for all the replys.

I think that I have a good bit of info now and hopefully Skyjacker will fix their joint issues before I have enough money to buy the kit.

I really like the company and I would like to support them in what they do. Thanks again and God Bless Ya'll!!!

Kevin

Back