• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Shock replacement/sheared off bolts

ebeaupre

NAXJA Forum User
*argh* I sheared 'em off!

I tried drilled for an extractor and my 1/8" bit snapped off inside the hole as well. So I have one side with two sheared bolts and the other side I haven't touched yet. I need to find a way to get the penetrating oil to the threads on the other ones before I shear them off too.

What should I do about the sheared ones? I was thinking of welding some studs on and using nuts. If they freeze up next time at least the penetrating oil will get into the threads. I could just weld the shock on too I suppose. I'm guessing I won't ever have to change them again. Suggestions?

Thanks
Eric

What I did was take a punch and hammer and beat the welded nut out of there,then fish a bolt and washer through the hole from the top. The nuts can be beat out quite easy... good luck. Jerry

The easiest solution is to remove the rear carpet, use your hole saw and drill holes through the floor to get you access to the broken bolts/nuts. remove them and replace with your own bolt/nut combo. Cover the holes with sheetmetal, weld/screw/rivet it down and reassemble. I was fortunate and didn't have to do this on mine but that was the plan if I had broken them. BTW put some BPE's on there, it will make the job easier next time and your shock won't clunk when the bar pins start to wear out. Go to Madxj and see check out their Technical section, there's a nice write up there.
HTH

ASAT

Back