• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full guage cluster?

vintagespeed

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone post some links for converting an older full guage cluster into a later Jeep? Mine's an '89 & I guess the cluster I have is an '86, I'd like to use it but when I plug it in all I get is blown fuses. Any help?

-jb (yes I did a search)

????? 89 - 87 - 86 etc

I am unaware of anybody having that problem in a 90 and earlier. I have switched a 87 into an 89 a 88 into a 89 MJ and have sold several full clusters to folks - one of whom put it into a 86 V6 (tach works fine) I also have put 4 cyl diesel tach clusters into a 89 (to test) and while the tach reads 33% fast they don't blow any fuses.
Are you sure you have not messed up the terminals on the two connectors? Possibly one of them is grounding on something? 91 and later have electronic spedos - does yours have a spedo drive cable?

I did this swap with an '85 cluster into my '89 and had zero problems, I agree that you should check the connections and trace the wires to look for shorts or grounded wires.

Ok, I guess I'll try it again. I read some threads about swapping an American-made cluster into a Japanese-cluster car and that it wouldn't work. My '89 cluster is marked Japan on it & the full cluster is not, it's also got the metal clip style speedo cable vs. my slip on cable.

Is there a part number list somewhere that will help me confirm what cluster I've got?

In 1989 the speedo cable attached to the speedo with a nylon slip-on connector. The metal end with the mechanical retainer went out after 1987. Maybe your "new" cluster isn't really from an '89.

What kind of numbers are on it? I have a couple of clusters here. If the number matches any of mine, I'll try to figure out where the matching one came from.

Will the '87 metal clip speedo cable fit & work with my AW4 auto?

I removed a couple traces that were on the back of the full guage cluster (they were both shorts) and it works fine except for the tach. Some knucklehead must've tried 'fixing' something on it, I should've known better.

All the guages now work except the tach, is there a fuse or a connection that I need to make to my coil? Mine is an '89 with auto so perhaps the coil tach wire isn't connected somewhere? It resets to zero with the key on but doesn't indicate RPM.

Thanks for all the help so far. :)

Nothing needed for the tach to work

You must have another problem with the circuit board - your best bet is to get another cluster - that one appears to be junk.
the tach works fine when you plug the clusters in - nothing else needs to be connected.

Back