• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack tubing size?

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
For those folks out there that have built there own roof racks, I have a few questions for you:

1. What size tubing did you use? I will be using square tubing, so round tubing sizes won't help me much.

2. Did you use stock rack mounts, or did you use gutter mounts?

3. If you used gutter mounts, did you fab your own, or buy them. If you bought them, what kind did you buy, and if you fabbed them, got any pics, please?

I would like to have a fairly low profile rack(roof rack that is) so I am building one with 3" walls, and that will only measure about 6" from the gutter mount to the top of the rack. My eventual plan is to have a suitable platform to put a tent on for camping. The bottom will have expanded metal and be Herculined for more of a non-slip surface

I'd appreciate pics, close ups if ya got em, of the gutter mounts you have made. Also, any words of wisdom are welcomed too.

Fergie

Fergie said:
For those folks out there that have built there own roof racks, I have a few questions for you:

1. What size tubing did you use? I will be using square tubing, so round tubing sizes won't help me much.

2. Did you use stock rack mounts, or did you use gutter mounts?

3. If you used gutter mounts, did you fab your own, or buy them. If you bought them, what kind did you buy, and if you fabbed them, got any pics, please?

I would like to have a fairly low profile rack(roof rack that is) so I am building one with 3" walls,
Fergie

Mine's a combination of round and square, but if I were to build with all square, the main perimeter rails would be 3/4" x .060" mild steel. Plenty strong to hold your gear; light weight being a key issue.

Strike two; mine uses the original mounting rails. I screw into eight of the threaded plates that slide inside the rails. Strong enough to use as a platform with three people sitting on top. I'd still do drip rail mounts next time since that is the strongest part of the roof.

Mine is also 3" tall to maximize clearance. The mall where I wheel has some underground parking obstacles. I can do these is 2WD if I air down, but rack height is critical. :cheers:

Well the problem with my current rack is that the screws that keep the actual rail part down have stripped out, and the whole thing is rickety right now. I wuldnt trust much up there. If that wasnt happening, I'd look at using the stock rails, but I need to go with the drip rails.

Not sure if you are serious or not about the mall wheeling comments, but what the hell. I just want the walls high enough to butt something up against to strap it down, so the current 5" walls on my Surco are a bit over kill.

Do you have any idea what kind of weight per lineal foot the .75" x .060 has? Thanks

Fergie

Actually, that's .065" and my pocket reference lists it at .605 lbs/ft

Back